Contest: First class trip for two to Europe

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [link]

Note: 3. ELIGIBILITY. Sweepstakes open to individuals legally residing in the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least 18 years of age (19 in Alabama and Nebraska) or older at the time of entry.

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    another contest that is US only...:(:mad:

Kalboz, blackjack-21 and MSYgirl like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, although the caption says the prize is two First Class tickets to Europe, the mouseprint says it's 250,000 AAdvantage miles plus a $1500 gift card, so you can apparently use the miles as you like.

It also says the ARV is $6,475.00. That is, of course, much less than the general public would pay for two First Class tickets to Europe on AA, so from that viewpoint, the valuation is winner-friendly. It may also be useful in another way:

Deducting the $1500 gift card means AA is valuing the 250K miles at $4975, or slightly under 2 cents per mile. This could come in handy if you're ever asked to pay tax on AA miles, instead of using the price at which AA sells miles to the general public. (This whole issue of valuing miles for tax purposes is a complicated matter, and is the subject of other threads, though.)

JoeCortez, Gargoyle, zphelj and 2 others like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happening more often with large corporations not wanting to get involved with other country's rules and regulations for contests and sweepstakes, and having to pay the associated fees to register them. A shame as there are many of their clients worldwide who would enjoy the chance of entering a good contest.

Counsellor and Sammich like this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big problem seems to be "foreign" data collection, storage, and protection rules which could govern the personal information provided by the entrants. They're all over the map (pun intended), and some are much more strict than US rules, particularly in the EU. Not sure about Canada, though.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the privacy rules, which is why I make a habit of reading the contest or other website's rules before entering or giving out my information. Seems like many contests/sweepstakes that do get to Canada more often then not exclude Quebec for some reason. Possibly they have much tougher regulations in that province. Some websites (and here I'm thinkng of a particular cellphone service provider overseas) who, while registered in one country, sends your registration information to another country for processing and storing, something I'm not entirely comfortable with regardless of their comments on keeping it safe.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    Bingo!
    (unfortunately)

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just that they're too cheap to hire a real translator to convert their terms and conditions into French, and their lawyers warned them to stop trusting Google Translate.

davef139, blackjack-21 and Counsellor like this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love it! I can just imagine practicing law via Babelfish . . . .

Gargoyle likes this.