Contest at DTW tonight 5/9/11: Spirit Airlines Luggage Chuck Contest for 1M miles

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by SC Flier, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://contest.getfreemiles.com/DTW/index.html

6pm - 8pm

Luggage Chuck Contest
    You’re invited to participate in the Spirit Airlines Luggage Chuck – where everyone’s a winner! All participants will receive 5,000 FREE SPIRIT™ miles, and one lucky winner will go home with
    ONE MILLION miles. No need to bring anything — just yourself and your best throwing arm.

Participants will have the opportunity to throw a soft-sided duffel bag into a designated target. Those who are successful will go on to compete in the finals where one person will win a million miles.

sobore likes this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Throwing luggage at a target? Is this the image an airline wants for its checked bag services, especially now that fees are being charged?

sobore and montacute like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be chucking midgets, but that's apparently not politically correct.

A million Spirit miles is not necessarily a good thing to have, but you never know... it sure beats having to use your miles if you need to get someone else an award ticket. :)

bthobe likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then you have to deal with Spirit for the award ticket and they must fly Spirit. Neither sounds good, but maybe if I really hated someone enough....Can you use 5K for a magazine or something? Are they worth the airport parking fees?

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't tell me you're the one guy that doesn't have a cousin / uncle or brother-in-law that wants to fly for free? I know the wife will occasionally "hint" at someone needing to fly into JFK from RDU or somewhere else and to see if "we can find something" for them to use.

For those types of requests I wish I had 10 million Spirit miles. :)

Exiled in Express likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because after one such ticket, they'd never ask again?

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey don't get me wrong... if I had "unlimited" miles to hand out, I wouldn't mind sharing the wealth... but every award ticket for someone else from RDU could easily turn into a trip to Belize instead for me. :)

And it's obvious that while Spirit might not have the best product in the air some people clearly don't mind flying with them.

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of Spirit's marketing is not politically correct. Why should this be any different?

(I flew on Spirit a few years ago. It worked out fine for me while in exit row seats. A little cramped on the one segment that I didn't get the exit row. I saved hundreds of dollars vs DL for that trip.)

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew Spirit once a few years ago -- haven't flown back since -- and I concur, when you have the room then it's decent, at best. "Acceptable" would be more likely, but still sub-par compared to most other carriers.

But it's hard to argue with the price... I think 2 of us flew from New York to FLL for half the cost of a single DL seat.

SC Flier likes this.
  11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Throwing luggage at a target may seem odd, but I can imagine the odd ideas pitched at the marketing meeting.
    Maybe a gate agent and a paint ball gun?

SC Flier likes this.