Contemplating Poland: Where to go, where to fly into?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by mdtravel, Aug 16, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am contemplating a trip to Poland with my late-70's father (77). He's pretty good mobility wise.

I'd likely be looking to travel on a Oneworld carrier, but that isn't a 100% must. I'm in CLT and would want one connection at most. That said, the airline isn't really what I'm struggling with right now.

What I am struggling with right now, is what city or cities to visit. I don't mind moving around a bit, but would be looking for, at max, two towns/cities in a 5-6 night stay in Poland.

So taking my flight preferences and desire to not move around a ton, would I be looking one or two of the following and which one or two would I be looking at:
    1. Warsaw
    2. Gdansk
    3. Krakow
    4. Wroclaw

I've taken my Dad with me on several trips in recent years. We've had at most one connection and one city change. Last year was Amsterdam: Charlotte - London - Amsterdam. My preference would be to have one flight connection, arrive in our base city/town, and then take day trips from that base city/town.

I don't know what time of the year it will be, but most likely late 2017 to early 2018. I get it will be cold.

My Dad and I both like old Europe. I know there was a lot of destruction in WWII in Poland. We had a very enjoyable time in Munich, which saw a lot of destruction as well. If I had a preference, I'd go with the genuine old town vs. the reconstructed old town...and I don't intend to offend anyone w/ that preference.

I'm really not very far into the planning. I'm just trying to narrow things down a bit. I'd appreciate any helpful advice that folks have to offer.

2. htrgf33

htrgf33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably the most interesting and "oldest" town is Krakow, which should be a must.on your trip. When you fly from US then Warsaw is as far as I know the only city where you can arrive (or you change plane in Europe). Warsaw has a nice old town, but small and re-constructed. I would prefer Gdansk over Warsaw, although much of the old town has also been re-built after World War II. But Gdansk is definitely interesting also for the history it made - that's where World War II started, but also where the wharf is where Solidarnosc was based. Unfortunately Krakow and Gdansk are rather far away from each other and I am not sure if there is a direct flight.

3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. I'm surprised that there are not direct flights from LHR to Gdansk or Krakow! At least that's what I saw on a quick search. CLT - FRA is always overpriced and hard to get business class but maybe that is my best option. It looks like there is one or maybe two nonstops per day between FRA and Gdansk or Krakow.

Wow, seems hard to get to these cities in Poland!