Consumer Satisfaction with Airlines in a Tail Spin – Delta, United, and US Airways “Most Hated”

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ord_a380, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    [rant] I know that part of the fun on these boards is to talk about how awful the airlines are (which the OP isn't doing), but consumers have to get real at some point. The airline industry is an incredibly difficult business in which to make money even in the best of times. On the cost side, it has enormous fixed capital costs while dealing with high labor and fuel costs (Not an anti-union rant, btw; it just is what it is). On the revenue side, it is essentially a commodity business, where ticket cost is often the primary driver behind a purchase. And that's not even discussing the external factors that the industry faces: a constant state of semi-government regulation, ease of entry of new competitors, not to mention how difficult it is to actually kill an existing carrier, despite how lousy the business is.

Something is going to suffer and, in this case, it is customer service. I lump a lot under the "customer service" umbrella, including everything from the numerous fees to onboard service. Frankly, I think the average airline employee does a very good job, considering the difficult circumstances of the industry. Furthermore, I consider air travel to be one of the great bargains in the country.

Obviously, I've only barely scratched the surface of the ridiculous amount of issues that this industry faces, but the bottom line is that airlines are profit-seeking entities, not the public utilities that so many passengers expect them to be. Just as the government can't increase everyone's Social Security benefits while lowering taxes, the airline industry can't increase service at razor thin margins, even in the best of times. [/rant]

Mike

3. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the airlines made flying a commodity by failing to differentiate their product. They also fail to consistently provide what their customers want. So, of course their customers are angry.