Consumer Reports on "Secrets of Frequent Fliers"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by traveltoomuch, Oct 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading articles on a topic I know well sometimes inspires me to wonder how much I should trust the stories for which I don't have much background.

Today's example: the November 2014 issue of Consumer Reports, where a teaser on the cover advertises "Secrets of Frequent Fliers".

They report on the mile+fee costs to book awards on some popular US domestic routes for a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday), looking at three days out, one month out, and three months out. And then they just report those numbers. They don't explain (well) the different tiers of pricing, nor do they look in any depth at availability over time. It's just a spot check. And they don't explain the fees - they don't even take out the $11.20 TSA fee (round-trip) for easy comparisons.

And of course they don't look at using FF programs from non-US carriers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    ella, Flyer1976, flyforawg and 4 others like this.
  2. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Teleportation hasn't been invented yet? At least the FFPs aren't revenue based :D

3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    grumble grumble typos grumble. Thank you. Fixed it.

4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries, nobody is perfect. I'm sure not! Just wanted to add a little levity :).

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Whenever I've read their review on product lines I'm familiar with I've found the criteria they evaluate to be lacking.