Construction dilemma

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Flying Bat, May 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    BRU LHR SIN PER
    One month ago this might have been achieved as a ticket where the first sector was operated by Brussels Airlines, but I believe they are withdrawn now along with LH, Swiss +

If I want to achieve the above I could buy a paid BRU LHR, but then the majority reward ticket element becomes a ticket starting ex UK and attracts a huge gbp500++ front cabin departure tax. I am unable to see a way around this but perhaps there are cleverer members who can think of a way ( other than alternative routing )

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The premium tax in the UK is no where near £500.

3. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish you were correct, sadly the truth of the matter is that F class UK -> Australia is going to attract £480 - so I did exaggerate a little, apologies. My dummy booking illustrates
    Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges for the entire journey are approximately £479.39 per adult and are included in the prices above.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you really located at the start of the trip? Have you thought about taking the train from Brussels to someplace with service by another *A carrier where you can still redeem, such as SAS? Or have about doing BRU-CPN-LHR on SAS if this is legal? Or do SQ to SIN using another of their European routes, although it's likely to be very difficult to find that award space.

Flying Bat likes this.
  5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a quote from BA. Are you sure that the total TFC would be at a similar level if you were to redeem on a *A airline?

A dummy booking suggests that the "front cabin departure tax" for this trip is only £184.

In any event, there are many alternative routings that avoid the UK Air Passenger Duty, whether you fly with BA or with a *A airline.

Flying Bat likes this.