Consolation Miles for 2-hour Delay

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Casey Friday, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my letter/response to AA. No need to give you back story, once you read the letter.

JDiver likes this.
  2. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, and best wishes. The 3k AA miles is not bad compo for a couple of hours. Your approach, IMO, was right on the money - no hyperbole, threats or ranting, brief and to the point but with sufficient information to inform, presenting the good and the bad; you made it easy for them to do the right thing.

JY1024 likes this.
  3. UNHBuzzard
    Original Member

UNHBuzzard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also like the correct spelling & grammar usage, something I see little of in many posted complaints.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, JDiver. The crew was fantastic from MCO to EYW (gave us two bottles of wine and some trail mix for free, as a wedding gift), so I had no reason to complain about that, and really no reason for ranting, threats, etc.

I'll always prefer Southwest for domestic travel, but as long as AA keeps this up, I'll fly them when they've got the lowest fare.

5. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the minority of my peers who actually decided to pay attention during middle/high school. :)

6. My Dad got comped 3k miles when he just wrote to American w/o even complaining. He simply said the flight attendants did a great job, and then got 3k AAdvantage miles.

Casey Friday likes this.
  7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, it's all about how you structure what I refer to as a "whiner" letter. Give the facts, don't editorialize! Usually you will be compensated. On the flip side, nothing wrong in sending a letter with positive feedback. It works both ways.

JY1024 likes this.
  8. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I sent a positive letter to SPG after staying at the Westin Key West. It was all just a bunch of praise, and what a good time we had there. Got nothing in return, but I'm glad to know that they're getting tangible appreciation.

9. scrow595

scrow595 Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar situation last week. Was flying TPA-DFW-OKC on. 4:30 flight. Decided to arrive airport early and fly standby, but did not know that AA was now charging a $50 fee. Wanted to get home before 10:30 pm so I paid the fee. Got to the gate to find that my new flight had been delayed because of weather and now I would only be leaving TPA 30 minutes earlier than my original departure. By time I got to DFW I had missed my connection to OKC and was reschedued back to my original flight! So in effect I paid an additional $50 bucks to arrive home at my originally scheduled time. I checked with the agent in the admirals lounge about a possible refund and was told to email Aa directly, which I did. Like Casey I simply stated the facts in a polite way and asked American to credit my charge card or issue me a voucher. They not only gave me a credit of $50 they also gave me 5000 miles. I thought that was certainly fair and more than I had expected. Guess it nevers hurts to ask,

Casey Friday and travelingmore like this.
  10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I neither asked for nor received compensation for a 90 minute mechanical delay on AA149 last Sunday. I was perfectly content that EXP desk quickly protected me on the next flight out (in case the delay turned into a cxl). Thank you AA....

11. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a relatively minor inconvenience for which to seek compensation, regardless of how politely it is done.

I also think AA, like credit card companies and other businesses who handle large volumes of data and deal with individual consumers, has gotten a lot better at keeping track of history- and you might one day wish you had kept your powder dry for a real issue.

neuatomic and HNL like this.
  12. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a little much to complain about a 2 hour delay. YMMV

13. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your marriage and all the best to you both! That said, it's my opinion that mentioning your marriage and honeymoon are extraneous issues in terms of your request to AA. Absolutely your prerogative to seek compensation for the delay, of course. Recently I was delayed for 55 minutes due to an issue with a tire, but I chose not to mention that I was on important government business and was carrying papers to be signed by an foreign dignitary of some renown (humility forbids me from sharing further details). As for me, I'm happy that it seems the worst you've experienced on an airline is a 1 hour and 45 minute delay and had to sniff some jet fuel. I hope your blushing bride handled the plane transfer and attendant disappointment with aplomb and that you continue to fly the friendly skies, er, American Airlines.

15. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to AA for accommodating, but I don't think you're due a food voucher for a 2 hour delay much less miles.

16. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A 2 hour delay on AA is pretty common, I would think to complain about that! If i did I guess I'd have of 1000's of extra miles...

17. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My blushing bride handles plane transfers better than she handles passive aggressive misogynistic comments on internet forums.

Seriously, I only shared this because I thought others would benefit from it, not tell me how undeserving I am.

18. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take strong exception to your insulting post. There was nothing in the least bit misogynistic about my comment. I expressed my opinion succinctly and relevantly I feel - and my reference to a delay w/ a tire and having a document to be signed was simply true and relevant given your reference to your betrothal and implication that it somehow should influence AA's response to your delay. There were numerous other posts disagreeing with your seeking of compensation as quoted above. Good day to you, sir.

19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently not paying attention the day they were discussing the definition of misogynist.

DestinationDavid and neuatomic like this.
  20. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm sorry that I got the miles, and you didn't, because you obviously deserve them more than I. I was in the wrong to assume that the members of a "Mile|Point" forum would approve of getting... miles.

Irrefragably, my plan was despotically conceived and unconstitutionally promulgated. Exeunt.

footnote: I love the thesaurus.

21. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    To clarify my post, since you quoted it, I neither agreed nor disagreed with his seeking compensation. I merely stated what I did. My circumstances were different than his. Had my circumstances been different, I may well have handled it differently.

Each person has to choose their response based on the situation at hand, and the airline will choose to respond as appropriate. YMMV.

neuatomic likes this.
  22. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Apology for mis-interpreting.

23. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I said good day!!