blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jalapenos?

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No jalapenos ..not even close in degree of hotness I bet they are some variety of habaneros which are 1000 times hotter than jalapenos on the Scoville scale.

I grow my own varieties of habaneros ( actually a hybrid of Jamaican Scotch bonnets) and I have had occasion when I cut into the semi-ripe ones in particular .. they are usually hottest just before ripening they will cause my wife's eyes to water when sitting across the table from me.:)

blackjack-21 likes this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure your wife's watery eyes are just from the habaneros and not because she's sitting across from you? :)

Years ago at an ES in Scottsdale, I decided to try their "Southwestern Omelette". The cook asked if I wanted the whole list of ingredients, including the chopped up jalopenos. Since I like very hot mustards and spicy foods in general I said sure. First bite of the omelette caused what felt like smoke emanating from my nose, ears, and mouth, eyes tearing, red face and ears appeared very quickly (according to my wife) and I gulped down several glasses of OJ, my hot coffee, and my wife's and my glass of water. That helped a bit, so I continued enjoying what might have been the hottest omelette I'd ever had.

If your habaneros are that much hotter, thanks, but I'll pass.

uggboy and newbluesea like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I was brought up eating the stuff.:)

In case you ever find yourself having eaten something too hot drinking liquids are not the thing to help... in fact it only spreads the "heat" around. Bread is recommended as the best remedy.:)

uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the bread-hot-spices cooling tip. I couldn't have breakfasts without any sort of breads, croissants (plural), muffins, bagels, or similar, and OJ, coffee too. I just reached for what I thought was the fastest fire dousing remedies at the time of my inflaminationing jalopeno experience. Since then I still get omelettes with those firebrand peppers among all the other ingredients, only not quite as many.

uggboy likes this.