Consequences of using one leg (when there are two) on a one-way tri

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Catherinetnc1965, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Catherinetnc1965

Catherinetnc1965 Member

Status Points:
    USAir:
    So I can buy a one way ticket MIA to CLT for ~$350. I can buy a one way to MIA to LGA which stops in CLT for $140. What are the consequences of buying the MiA/LgA ticket and getting off in CLT?

Also, I have all day and would rather do accumulate milage than just go to CLT. What is the best method to determine possible mileage runs? For instance, I can go MiA to DfW (again, through my home base, CLT, for ~$240) but can't figure out how to get back to CLT for less than $360.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The risks are pretty minimal. Read this http://www.portlandtraveltips.com/2013/11/20/save-money-on-airfare-with-throwaway-ticketing/

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are "breaking the rules," but indeed, the risks are pretty minimal.

Factors to consider...
    1) Don't do this too often. If you do this once or twice a year, you'll have no problems. Do it a dozen times on the same route over a few months and I suspect you'll at least get a call from the airline. The consequences of the call could vary, but could include up to closure of your FF account (though I think this unlikely, unless you're a habitual offender!)
    2) Consider your luggage needs. Ideally, you'll only have hand luggage for this journey. If you need to check bags, while airlines can "short check" a bag (just to your first stop), if you did this more than very infrequently on a short domestic trip, I suspect you'd find yourself facing item #1! If I were seeking to short check, I'd have a story ready as to why I needed to do this. "My brother is picking the bag up" or something.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    • You can only have carry-on luggage as checked luggage will go all the way to LGA.
    • In the event of irregular operations, the airline may try to book you on another route to LGA.
    • It's technically against the airline's rules and they reserve the right to charge you the regular MIA to CLT fare if you're "caught". (I've never actually heard of this happening).
    You can get some insight into mileage runs using matrix.itasoftware.com. Use their advanced routing language to specify how many stops you want which will increase the mileage flown.

In your case, if the reverse LGA-MIA via CLT is the same price, why not buy two one-ways (MIA-CLT-LGA, LGA-CLT-MIA), fly the first one to LGA and then, on the second, get of in CLT. Total cost is $280 and you earn an extra CLT-LGA round-trip (although I doubt that would make sense on paper as a mileage run).

chrislacey likes this.
  5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only other thing to keep in is that you are buying a ticket from Miami to LaGuardia. If something happens to the MIA-CLT flight...they aren't obligated to rebook you through CLT. I'm sure US has flights from MIA to PHL and maybe even DCA.

That would be my biggest concern.

Edited to add: LarryInNYC beat me to it!

6. Catherinetnc1965

Catherinetnc1965 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all!
    I am often fly non-rev as my husband is an AA cap. However due to my low tolerance for risk, I usually buy tickets on USair rather than risk not getting home. I am a US Air Chairman preferred until February (or March) and am considering buying up that this year. It is sooo nice being able to change rewards tickets without a fee at the last minute - that alone is a major reason I love that status.
    I really want to learn how to maximize mileage - especially when I have nothing better to do!
    I never check baggage.

Thanks again!

7. Catherinetnc1965

Catherinetnc1965 Member

Status Points:
    One more thing . . . Contemplating LarryNYC's strategy : would mia -clt- lga count as 2 legs or one?