consecutive stays at same hotel with different reservations...?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Apr 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I booked my first night in Houston at the Four Points Sheraton Houston Southwest.... moving the next night to the Sheraton Houston Brookhollow.... so then it turns out Im arriving into the US one day earlier and need another hotel night... Id rather do another night at the Four Points, but I also want to maximize my stay credits to see if I can somehow make Gold this year.... so then, I already have a confirmed reservation for the night of the 18th of April... if I now book a separate reservation on the night of the 17th for one night.... what will the SPG system do for stay credits....?

To sum up my question (lets see if I can be clear here), when you hold two separate reservations for one night each on consecutive nights, do you get one stay credit with two nights or will you be awarded to separate stays of each one night...? Or can this go both ways....?

Dont know if this matters, but all my stays will be booked directly with Starwood at spg.com.

My apologies if this has already been covered.... and thanks for any insight.

Cheers from EZE,
    Alex

2. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two separate reservations for consecutive nights at one hotel would equal one stay and two nights.

You would need to go to the Sheraton first, then go the Four Points and then back to the Sheraton if you really wanted to maximize the stay credit.

uggboy, jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the only way to accomplish this AFAIK.

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  4. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glitches have been known to occur whereby one could get two stay credits for two separate one night reservations (I've actually experienced this on a couple of occasions), but I wouldn't rely on a glitch if your goal is to make Gold status.

Sagy, uggboy, jbcarioca and 1 other person like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    To increase your chances of getting two stays:
    1) Have them close out the folio for the first day and start a new one (has worked for me in multiple
    times in the past.. but like others suggest dont be too suprised if it does not:))
    2) If you have business and personal SPG Amexs use one each for one day or alternately use your Amex for one day and another card for the other day.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't count on it to happen. It might, but it's definitely not guaranteed

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the feedback... I don't expect to get 2 stays but will gamble and have them close the folio and open a new one.... and keep my fingers crossed! ;)

uggboy, kenbo and jbcarioca like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the "stump the chump" segment on Cartalk come back and tell us if it works.:D

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will do.... ;)

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You odds will improve if you use different credit cards, as already stated, and if you make the second check-in a couple of hours after you've closed the first one. Do expect it not to work so you can be pleased if it does.

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good tip on delaying the check in.... not sure I will be able to use different credit cards, as I will most probably be paying an advance payment type rate to get the best possible price.

Thanks again to all for the excellent feedback and I will surely be back to report (hopefully) a miracle !!! :cool:

Of course, and to be fair, I see the chances of double staying as very slim so certainly not expecting that this will happen....

uggboy likes this.
  12. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this is an exception, but have an experience or two with two separate reservations at the same property with different SET or other rates combined into one bill with one payment on check-out and this still has resulted in double stays.

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds promising.... ;)

uggboy likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got first stay credit for the first night...... second night still hasnt posted... so stay tuned... :cool:

uggboy likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you get double stay credit now, you should be aware that SPG could examine your account at any time and delete the extra stay credits to which you are not entitled. If this happens soon, it's probably not a big problem, but if some stays are removed after the end of the calendar year, you could lose your (requalification) status with no notice and no opportunity to fix it.

uggboy likes this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough ... all programs are likely to audit accounts. That said in 12 or so years that I have reading/visiting FF boards like this I have never once heard of this actually happening....have you?:)

Gaucho and uggboy like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard reports of something like this happening. I don't recall the circumstances but I believe it was SPG.

uggboy likes this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does happen from time to time. There have been rants on TOBB. ;)

Gaucho likes this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well.... I did get two stay credits.

Im happy, but I understand that if this gets deducted from my account then its part of this game, and there will be no rant like those on the TOBB.... I think we all need to understand that there is a little bit of a cat and mouse game going on with these points and credits, and sometimes you get a little "bonus", and other times it doesnt work.... I dont think it would be fair to cry if you get "caught" by the system.... dodo happens.

I just hope that I can get over the Gold limit with 1 stay credit to spare so that if I do get this stay deducted it doesnt mean I dont get to keep my earned status.....

RV03 likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    i bet over the years I have done similar six or so times.. not to get stay credit but because of the flexibility one day bookings afford and I have never had points or stays deducted .... I have even gotten two stays having two rooms at the same property for the same night.
    I'll wager you a bottle of (cheap) wine you will be OK:D

Gaucho likes this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know..... thanks !! And I will take the wager !!! :cool:

22. RV03

RV03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking the time to report back! Glad it worked out for you so far!

Gaucho likes this.