Conrad San Juan Rebranded as Hilton

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Mike Reed, Aug 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza has been renamed and rebranded as the Condado Plaza Hilton, Hilton announced this week."

"Puerto Rico holds special significance to Hilton Hotels & Resorts, as Hilton International was launched with the opening of the Caribe Hilton, San Juan in 1949..."

More from the article linked here.

MSYgirl likes this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Does definitely not deserve a luxury brand name, that place is a dump

desamo, Mike Reed and viguera like this.
  3. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's gotta feel like a real slap in the face for that hotel's GM. I'm happy to see Hilton protecting the integrity of the Conrad brand and kicking out properties that don't meet standards.

desamo, Mike Reed and tommy777 like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Absolutely... I was there a couple of years back and it was pretty average to say the least.

desamo, Mike Reed and tommy777 like this.
  5. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they still have the Iguanas all over the grassy areas?

desamo and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I remember the wife grabbed her shoes and ran to the room the first time that happened. :)

Sloweddy00 likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Note that the change came a few weeks after I wrote this letter and sent it to Hilton's CEO.

8. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I was hungry when the iguanas came out, so I was debating bbq or stew!!

viguera likes this.
  9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:

Really? I was counting on the Conrad name to mean non dump :confused:

I had just booked it. Just as well, its one of the bookings I was going to move to Ritz Carlton for SMD.

10. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

I didn't bother sending it to the hotel. The CEO did not respond, so I called the diamond desk, who sent a "be my guest" cert. So it was resolved in that sense, but I feel far more of a resolution with the property's demotion.

You know, I really actually like the super-orange orange of the lobby, it was just a bit much at 6:30 in the morning.

[​IMG]

This post is also a bit about my stay, but more about the issue of getting there. :)

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

If I stay in PR again, I'm going to listen to my gut and stay at El Convento.

I had such an awful weekend that weekend that I really am not enthusiastic about going back to Puerto Rico. :(

viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

You know, I was gonna say that myself as well. Me and the wife were there for the weekend after spending a couple of days at the W in New Orleans, and she was just disappointed altogether and hasn't had any interest in going back to Puerto Rico at all after that.

I think the lack of a decent beach and constant traffic in the area sort of messed things up for her. :)

14. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, hq told the hotel to brand as a Conrad. Glad they can change it to something more appropriate. Similiar to the el san Juan no longer being a waldorf property.

The former Conrad and san Juan had more rooms by a wide margin than any other Conrad.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you should always go from the lesser hotel to the better hotel, not the other way around. :)

Ehh, don't care about those. Arecibo makes up for a lot of travel batman in my book.

[​IMG]

uggboy and viguera like this.
  16. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similarly awful experience at a Double Tree hotel in Overland Park (suburb of Kansas City). When I tried to check-in at 2:30pm, I was told (very curtly) that my room wasn't ready and come back in an hour. I was ok that my room wasn't ready, but I wasn't ok with the attitude I received from the desk agent.

Despite my smiles and exceptionally friendly demeanor, the desk agent was unapologetic. I thought it was odd that other people with were checking in with no problem, but nonetheless I humbly carried my luggage back out to the rental car and headed out for an extended late lunch with a colleague that was traveling with me.

I returned to the hotel around 4:30pm and tried to check-in again. This time is was the Manager on Duty (I didn't know she was the MOD - more on that later), but the service wasn't any better. She seemed overworked and underpaid. I could tell she was having a bad day (or a bad life). So, I tried to be as nice and friendly as possible, but it didn't make much of a difference. Room still wasn't ready. No apology. No offer to store my luggage. No offer for a drink at the bar, a bottle of water, nothing. I was simply told again that my room still wasn't ready, but this time I was offered an phone call when my room was ready. Meanwhile, other folks continue to check-in to their rooms without issue.

So, I went out for a little drive to pass the time and returned to the hotel around 5:15pm. Still hadn't received a phone call that my room was ready, so went to the front desk to check on the status of my room. It was a different desk agent, but the same unwelcoming attitude - and my room still wasn't ready. I kindly asked what their normal check-in was in an attempt to try to get some acknowledgment from her, but no such luck.

So, I retreated to a sofa in the lobby to figure out my next move. I had been so understanding and friendly, but got nothing but attitude in return. I'm a Hilton loyalist with diamond status, but was treated poorer than any customer regardless of status should be treated. I called the hotel from my cell phone (while sitting in the lobby) and asked to speak to the manager. I briefly explained my situation and asked that she join me in the lobby to discuss my situation.

To my surprise, the Manager was the same person I interacted with the second time I tried to check in (at 4:30). At that point, I pretty much decided that this property clearly didn't care about my business - but I would still provide some constructive feedback on my experience (in a very courtesy way, of course) and how I felt the situation should have been handled (irrespective of diamond status).

She listened, finally extended an apology, and offered to comp my room. Since I was traveling on business, a comped room had no value to me personally - not to mention that my room still wasn't available and I was tired of waiting. She offered to "find" me a room, but I also knew that probably meant displacing someone else. It was a Friday evening and I could tell that the majority of folks staying at the hotel weren't frequent travelers - a disruption to them would be far more traumatic. At that point, I had pretty much given up on this hotel. They clearly had some major operational issues and employee morale was dismal at best. Even if I did get a room, I couldn't imagine the experience getting any better. So, I kindly told her that "finding" me a room at this point would no longer be necessary and that I would seek accommodations elsewhere.

I ended up at a Sheraton about a mile down the road. I was greeted out front my bellman, and again inside by a smile man and women behind the counter. When I checked in, the desk agent how my day was going and what brought me to their hotel. After very briefly mentioning what happened at the Double Tree, the desk agent at the Sheraton apologized, upgraded my room beyond what's typically offered to SPG Gold, and offered me a drink at the bar - all for something that didn't even happen at their property.

uggboy, iolaire, desamo and 1 other person like this.
  17. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like something out of a James Bond film lol

viguera likes this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

That's one reason why I wasn't too hesitant about jumping ship and drop Hilton when it was time to thin out my loyalty programs.

I had experiences where I showed up obscenely early at hotels last year in Hawaii (SPG and Marriott) and both times I was accommodated and given access to the property / pool / keys / etc, and not once did I feel like they weren't truly trying to get my business.

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's because it is!

It's also the largest observatory in the world and was also used in the movie Contact.

mtlfire likes this.
  20. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the Hampton Inn & Suites in San Juan ...which is across the street from the Ritz Carlton. If I had a choice between the two again, I'd probably go with the Hampton Inn. I think San Juan is past its prime.

desamo likes this.