Conrad Rangali Island Maldives

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Bigcountry, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're at the resort right now - quick thoughts:

1) As Diamonds, I would recommend getting the free breakfast buffet. It is a full spread (cook to order eggs, waffles, french toast, panackes, fresh fruit station, full bread station, Asian food station, etc) and unbelievably good.
    2) You get $50 towards an excursion. We were originally thinking of doing the snorkeling tour but went snorkeling by the deluxe beach villas and there was plenty of fish to see there. Will probably do a sunset cruise.
    3)Free wi-fi in your room and it's fast!
    4)We are staying on reward nights and got a regular beach villa (lowest level room) and we love it. It's huge with outdoor shower and huge tub. Completely satisfied.
    5)When you go workout, there is free water in the refrigerator.
    6)We had dinner at Rangali Bar each night where an entree can be had for $20.
    7)Having been to Bora Bora, this destination now is my single favorite destination.
    8)There is free breakfast at the Hilton Lounge while you wait for your seaplane.

Do whatever you can to come to this amazing place!

uggboy and gleff like this.
  2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was there last August (and my stay seemed to have caused a bit of a stir over in FT-land) and did both the snorkel tour and sunset cruise. The sunset cruise is kind of bizarre. You go out on a Dhoni, cruise to an adjacent resort and back. There's some light snacks (spring rolls?) and soda.I think we preferred watching the sunset from our Spa Villa.

The snorkel tour is nice as you see a bit more than what's on the house reef. We're pretty avid swimmers so we stayed in the water for the entire time and swam the length of the reef (much to the disdain of a few folks who got out after 2 min. then sat on the Dhoni). It also includes a boxed lunch.

Have fun!

uggboy likes this.
  3. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the quick notes, I hope the staff comes back soon from the strike.
    at check-in was any kind of 'buy up' offered to a higher level room or over the water?

also a seaplane transfer is the only way to get to the resort, correct? (from website it looked like The seaplane transfer is charged at US$434.70(US$ 420 3.5%Tax) per person return.)
    -

uggboy likes this.
  5. kirkpd
    Original Member

kirkpd Silver Member

Status Points:
    So glad the strike is over for you. Have saved up enough HH points to go, but how in the world do you get there.? I think I get overwhelmed with trying to cordinate this.
    Asheville NC would be our starting point. - have about 300,000 Delta points ready to burn. Delta webpage is no help.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think (someone please correct if wrong), the Asian cities that offer non-stops to Male are: SIN, KUL, BKK, CMB. So perhaps look into getting to a gateway city, then Male, then the seaplane to the resort.

uggboy, gleff and kirkpd like this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA.com seems to want to route you through Dubai (AA to LHR, BA to Dubai, then Emirates).

uggboy and kirkpd like this.
  8. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my way home now - here is the route we took on Delta. SLC - LAX - KUL - MLE all in business class for 120,000 miles. Bummer is 8 hour layover in KUL but let me tell you, Conrad Maldives is absolutely my new favorite destination hands down!

We originally tried to go via Dubai but couldn't get anything from Dubai to MLE and didn't want to buy a ticket

@SweetWillie - after we made our reservation, Hilton emailed us with option to buy up to other rooms on estandby upgrades - but we decided to stick with our beach villa. The beach villa is HUGE - outdoor shower and tub, just fantastic.

Will post pics, videos, write up, etc.

9. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds fantastic.. I'm a lil envious..
    well, ok more than a lil.. & I never get jealous1 ;)
    Glad to hear it.. thanks so much 4 sharing!:)

uggboy likes this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Glad you had an amazing stay, I've been to Bora Bora but not yet to the Maldives. I'm thinking the newly rebranded Park Hyatt. Probably award to CMB (CX F anyone?) and then buying a ticket from there, it's a short flight and cheap ex-CMB even to buy EK F! :)

uggboy likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing isn't it! Great addition to the thread thanks Kalboz for letting us know!

Hope there will come a time when we // I am and my significant other can stay there and have quality time too!

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    First there was the undersea restaurant Ithaa ...
    [​IMG]
    ... and now you can spend the night with the fishes! Celebrating its fifth anniversary, the restaurant, set approximately 16 feet below the Indian Ocean's surface, offers guests a one-of-a-kind dining experience as thousands of fish swim across the 180-degree-arched glass ceiling. Now, the hotel has worked to turn the restaurant into an exclusive suite for two - talk about a room with a view!
    [​IMG]

jmrich1432 and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can never find award availability here. On FT I read that you have to look 365 days out, I keep checking, but nada. Any tips on redeeming points here?

Thanks

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi jmrich - persistence! we had same experience as you but kept checking and emailing Rangali and finally got a tip from them and on FT about availability opening up. Once it did - it was WIDE open and we were able to snag 8 nights with no problem in their beach villa which is incredible.

Kalboz and jmrich1432 like this.
  16. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Bigcountry! Did emailing the property help significantly? Or would you recommend just checking the HHonors site and MP/FT for updates?

Kalboz likes this.
  17. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only makes my goal of getting there more acute!

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say do all of the above - of course no need to email the property daily, but we just checked in with them from time to time

19. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact I just went in to spot check some nights in March 2012 and 5 days all together were wide open on the calendar.

20. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could go in March! I just don't think it will work with the trips I already have planned. I was checking a few days ago and didn't see anything.... I will just have to keep going back.

Are there any bad times to go? Or times that are better than others?

Kalboz likes this.
  21. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Bigcountry, thanks for all of the great information!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  24. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  25. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seaplane was between $350-$400 per person. Very expensive for such a short flight - though I understand that Waldorf Beach House seaplane costs $800 per person

jmrich1432, lichenlt and Kalboz like this.