Conrad New York opens in Battery Park City

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by rwoman, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conrad New York opens in Battery Park City

:)

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a fantastic hotel, very artistic and prominent plus it's all-suite too!:)

rwoman likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's have a look inside:

[​IMG]

SOURCE: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2012/3/16/112036/777/hotels/Conrad_New_York,_Opening_March_19,_Touts_'For_Your_Confidence'_Safety_and_Security_Amenities

PedroNY and rwoman like this.
  4. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks great, wonderful addition to the Conrad brand, cannot wait to check it out. I enjoyed Embassy Suites at that location, so this should be a great spot as all rooms are suites!

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    First Look At The Public Spaces Inside Conrad New York:)

A fantastic image gallery from the Conrad New York Hotel:

Link to the image gallery: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...k_At_The_Public_Spaces_Inside_Conrad_New_York

A fantastic looking Conrad hotel, suits the New York location, modern and inspirational! A great hotel, a legends in the making!:)

rwoman likes this.
  6. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel looks very nice, the location not so much. Except if you are in meetings down there.

uggboy likes this.
  7. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just posting an update, they have a Conrad Toy! "Hudson", who is a bull.. very appropriate for Goldman Sachs owned hotel, LOL. I am glad they listened to crazy people and decided that they need to have a toy, that made me make a reservation at this place. I will post my review in a couple of weeks, after we spend a Cinco De Mayo weekend there.

Cheers,

PedroNY

MyTravels likes this.
  8. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to update this thread. Mrs Pedro and I had an opportunity to spend a weekend at this property. We were impressed with the level of service and the extra mile staff went out of the way to make our stay comfortable. The check-in was a breeze, no wait, it was around 6pm on a Friday afternoon and the lobby was empty. We were given a room upgrade to the Superior Suite with River view, that was a very nice touch. When we arrived to the room we found a small box of chocolates, a personal note from the General Manager and a wonderful modern decor suite.
    The room is a conversion from Embassy Suites and not a traditional "suite" when you think of other Conrad properties. However, having 430 sq. feet in Manhattan is very nice and you can tell they spend a lot of money and attention to make it in Conrad style. I was specifically impressed with the shower and bathroom. The show was 4 feet wide by 6 feet deep, yes really! Large space, with rain-down shower head, very well designed, and it reminded me of Conrad Tokyo. Mrs. PedroNY loved the Nescafe Espresso maker, which was included in the room rate, and made us late afternoon coffee. Other things: 2 large screen LCD television sets, sofa, extra chair, large king-size bed, plenty of closet space, great bathroom amenities, couple complimentary bottles of water. The room did not have an ironing board, but it was brought up within 2 minutes of my call to the Guest Services.
    Something to remember, this hotel does not have a spa, it does not have a pool, so it is not the traditional Conrad hotel as you will find in Asia. However, the gym was well equipped (and empty), with complimentary water station. Also, the hotel will have a rooftop bar (16th floor) and it will open in mid-May, so I imagine it will be a popular place for happy hour, considering that this hotel is across the street from Goldman Sachs (they actually own and operate this property).
    Breakfast menu for Gold & Diamond members allows you to have between 5 different choices. One day I tried oatmeal and Mrs. PedroNY tried fruit/berries. Another day I tried the breakfast pastry basket, I thought it was plenty of food. You do not have a choice to upgrade to a larger breakfast, but you can buy additional menu items ala carte, so if you want eggs and bacon, it will cost you another twelve dollars.
    On the final note, I was impressed with the staff through out our stay. We received two personal notes from different members of the hotel staff, we received a very nice gift for our special occasion, and in general everyone was incredibly friendly and pleasant to us. We also received the little Conrad toy (bull) upon check-in, so we can add that one to our collection.
    This is Category 7 hotel, highest in Hilton Honors, and it is located in Manhattan, so that makes sense. If you are interested staying in downtown (real downtown) of NYC, I recommend to consider this property, it is well situation for exploring Battery City Park, World Trade Center area, close to Tribecca, SoHo and Chinatown. Of course, you can always catch a cab to go uptown, and A/C/1/2/3 trains are about 7-10 minute walk from this hotel.

Cheers,

PedroNY

9. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can echo most of Pedro's impression of the hotel. I stayed there in beginning of April. Breakfast for me was just a true continental breakfast with a (large) basket of pastries OR bread, and coffee and juice. I wasn't even any other choices or substitutes. I added the yogurt parfait ala carte and it was delicious. Also got a box of chocolates upon arrival, but did NOT get the conrad bull toy. However, since I had read about it here and on their facebook, I asked and they prompted delivered two of them to my room. Overall, it was an impressive place, and quite empty on the weekend. Across the entrance is rockefeller park and the hudson. Location is very peaceful, but not central.

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question about this hotel. We have visited NY for 4-5 days every December for a number of years. Stayed at the old Righa Royal when it was a Marriott on points, bought at the Manhattan Club when Marriott sold it though that only lasted a few years as the timeshare went downhill, and for the last 4-5 years have stayed at Starwoods - first the Parker Meridien and last year at the St Regis.

We are considering this hotel only because of the point devaluation. The hotel itself and the rooms sound wonderful. I can reserve it for 4 nights using an Axon award and it will only cost 145,000 points. I have about 350,000 of them and never really use them. After this month, those four nights would go for 320,000 (with a free night thrown in). As a Diamond, I guess I get breakfast and internet - anyone have any experience with upgrades?

So it seems to make sense but I'm concerned that I will feel truly in the middle of nowhere. I assume we'll want to do the museums and shows like always. Our youngest lives on the UES with his wife and toddler. Is this really just a hotel for those doing business in the Financial Center or a reasonable place to stay. Is it worth it? Good restaurants in area? Anything else worthwhile there?

Appreciate any help with this. Many thanks!

mo26 likes this.
  11. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed as diamond members for a night around Christmas. Our upgrade was a view of the river, nice. But nothing special. Hotel overall felt new and high tech with touch switches for all the lights. Huge bathroom. Breakfast was great, especially when using the credit towards anything on the menu.

It was a great location to visit the 911 memorial and walking around that area. Personally, I've always preferred the doubletree Times Square for the location, and I think it's being devalued a lot too.

For me, I'm glad I got to stay at the Conrad to see what it's like (and get my bull stuffed animal). But in the future I'll stay at the Doubletree or Hilton Times Square for the location of things we enjoy.

theskyflyer, brucewil and mo26 like this.
  12. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Mark Allen Jackson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a stay here in early June. Excited to try out another Conrad!

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    So let me start off by saying we were not exactly overwhelmingly looking forward to this stay. For well over 10 years, we have spent 5 nights in NYC in December. We stayed during my wife’s Christmas break when she was still teaching and earlier in December since she retired. Way back when, we used our many Marriott points to stay at the Rihga Royal hotel. Every room was a suite and we would leave after five nights with a bill for parking. But then we purchased a timeshare at the Manhattan Club and that became our home in NY. And it was great for a number of years. Most people know nothing about the place but suffice to say, the developer started messing around big time - massive increases in annual fees while it all of a sudden became impossible to get reservations. We finally just about gave it away to be spared the angst of owning it and once again began using our points. In the intervening years, we became Starwood people and had Platinum status. The first few years we stayed at the Parker Meridien. Loved the location and the fact that we always got upgraded to a Junior Suite. Yeah - the rooms had gotten a tad tired but it was fine - and at only 12,000 points per night, a steal.

Then Starwood raised it to 20,000 per night and we said “what the hell.” Last December we stayed at the St Regis and were upgraded into a 1 bedroom, 2 full bath Madison Suite. The rate online was $2800 per night and we had a blast. We were determined to return this December.

OK, that’s the context. I had a few hundred thousand Hilton points along with Hilton status and they announced a massive devaluation. We decided immediately to book five nights in Napa (we were already planning on going to a wedding in SF) and four nights using an AXON award to stay at the Conrad. So that’s how we got here. When we visit NY, our center is either the Theater District or the museums - little of which we had access to down here. And while we feel that we know those other areas so well, we felt like strangers here.

Okay - found out (online) a few days before our trip began that we had been upgraded from the 400+ sq ft regular suite to the 750+ Luxury suite. Nice start! And the room is really lovely. It is very high-style and often that comes at the cost of functionality. Here it all works. We have 1.5 baths. Other than wishing that the hot water was hotter, no complaints at all. At least, with the hotel. When we travel overseas, certainly to Europe, we do a lot of walking. Europeans do a lot of walking. So there is clearly an issue here, versus mid-town, in terms of transportation. The subway is, indeed, a 7 or 8 minute walk. Today we had to go to the Upper East Side and the walk to that subway line was about 50% longer. But the weather was mild and it was daytime. No sweat at all. But last night we had dinner reservations in the Gramercy area. It was dark, we were reticent to take the subway and there were absolutely no taxis passing by the hotel. The couple in front of us were already waiting for 5+ minutes. So for the first time, we used UBER, paid about 50% more than a taxi and the car was here in 5 minutes! And when the room is free, no big deal. We easily got a taxi to come back.

Yesterday we did an amazing guided tour of the Ground Zero area including admission to Ground Zero. It was wonderful. There are great restaurants down here. The area by the Hudson is positively gorgeous - my wife said that it would be a great hotel to come to during the Spring/Summer when you could really live outside. The area is hopping.

There have been some complaints about the Diamond breakfast benefit. Yes, it’s a Conrad but possibly the cheapest one in the world relative to other hotels in the area. The rate for the basic room at the St Regis last December was over $800. Here the base room went for a bit over $200. Somehow they have to make money so I’m not surprised they cannot be as generous as they might be at their other hotels. But that said, the free options are fine (so far we’ve had the fruit, the oatmeal and the eggs) and if you want more, you can get a credit and pay the difference.

The staff has been uniformly helpful and cordial. It’s more business than family oriented. Adjacent to the hotel with access through the hotel is a multiplex theater. Everything is really pretty convenient. So the big question is will we return? We spoke about it at length today. This hotel and the area around it has been a big surprise to us - it really is wonderful. Can’t imagine how lovely it would be to have dinner outdoors in the warm weather overlooking the Hudson and Jersey City. But we’re pretty sure that next year we’ll go back top the St Regis - but also pretty sure that we’ll return here - tho next time it will be on Cash and not the ridiculous number of points that Hilton now wants.

To sum up, it really is a lovely hotel and the rooms are all suites (in its original iteration, this was an Embassy Suites). It is most certainly a luxury level hotel that is available for rates you rarely see such hotels selling for. You will have to travel more to do the typical NY stuff and I can’t say that I would recommend it for someone coming for their first trip to NY. But it really is lovely and we do look forward to returning at some point. Thanks to everyone on the staff who made us feel so welcome.