Conrad Maldives

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by tulane09, Nov 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to book a honeymoon at Conrad Rangali in the Maldives for next September. My stay will be 7 nights Thurs-Thurs. I have two weekend certificates and the ability to get 400,000+ Hhonors points. Normal redemption rates for my dates are 80,750/night. I'm Hilton Gold so I also have access to AXON awards.

My question is because I arrive on a Thursday and the weekend certificates are only good for Fri/Sat/Sun... can I get my standard 5th night free even if the 5 nights are broken up by two weekend certs (4 x 80750 = 323,000)?

The other option is to use 80,750 for Thursday, 2 certs for Fri/Sat, then AXON for reduced rate of 75,000 totaling 300,000 for the other 4 nights. For at total of 383,000.

Clearly 5th night free is ideal, especially since it will save me URs which I would rather not use on Hhonors (via Virgin Atlantic).

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no advice on the hotel but wanted to say congratulations! :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely you will not be able to do that. You can save one of the free weekend certs and still get the fifth night free. That will of course cost you more at present, but the cert can be used at another hotel or you can extend your honeymoon by one day using the cert. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

skyvan and MSYgirl like this.
  4. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So Hilton emailed me back. I can't break up the 5 nights, which doesn't surprise me. The good news is I received my two weekend certificates today. I'm waiting on my CSP 40,000 UR bonus to post and I will then transfer 120,000 UR to Virgin Atlantic to get the 2:1 transfer ration to Hilton. So my trip is going to breakdown like this:

Thursday - 80,250 points
    Friday - Weekend Certificate
    Saturday-Thursday - 4 nights at 80,250/night, 5th night free.

Total points is 401,250

My other option is to burn the other weekend cert and do AXON at 75,000/night the last 4 nights. But it only saves 20,000 points. The other weekend cert will certainly be used for better value at some point.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Conrad Rangali Island in the Maldives in January 2013. We think it ranks as perhaps our most favorite vacation ever. It is certainly our most favorite beach vacation ever. The Maldives are hard and expensive to reach, at least from USA, and the resorts are expensive... but maybe that is why the vacation can be so special.

The Conrad Rangali Island spans three separate islands (only two of which are accessible to guests, the third is "back of the house") connected by both a foot bridge (also golf carts) and a shuttle boat. There are two main types of villas - beach villas, and overwater villas. The beach villas are set back a bit from the edge of the beach, but all have patios and paths accessing the beach. We didn't stay in one but they looked spacious and comfortable and well designed.

The overwater villas are, as the name implies. over the water and ours was simply stunning. It was set in water that was about 4-6 feet deep depending on the tide, and with stairs descending into the ocean for swimming and snorkeling. Because of the way the atoll is shaped, the water was always fairly still and gentle around the villa. I don't have any idea what the customs or rules are in the Maldives, but at dawn and dusk we felt comfortable skinny dipping. The hotel's dive shop will lend you a snorkel mask and fins, and there were plenty of fish to make swimming and snorkeling around the villa fun.

The villa's outdoor deck had sitting areas and a plunge pool, and an umbrella, so it was a comfortable place to chill. The villa itself was beautiful and in immaculate condition. One nice touch was that on several occasions the housekeepers made beautiful displays on our bed, with flower petals and with what I'll call towel origami. There was good internet service in our villa, so I was able to stay caught up with work and the world - but even better was the fact that I had a glass desk with not just a floor to ceiling window but also a glass floor under the desk, so I could always watch the sealife. While I was at the desk, I saw juvenile sharks, manta rays, and many other types of fish - it was really heavenly.

The room had a Nespresso coffee maker with a generous selection of Nespresso capsules, so we appreciated that in the mornings.

I would think that romantic couples, who really like each other's company, would be the ones who would most enjoy this resort. While there are some activities you can book, it's also the kind of vacation where you want to nap a lot, read books, and enjoy being with your partner.

We snorkeled a good deal, every day. The first few days mainly off our villa. Later we learned about the "house reef" where there is the greatest variety of fish and color, so do ask about that. The resort offers dives, and I'm told they are quite good, though I'm not a diver. They do also offer diving classes.

One thing not to miss during your stay is the underwater restaurant. It's a novel experience, and we felt it was totally worthwhile. You will need reservations as I think there are only 8 seats. We got to feed the fish one evening. They feed the fish around the restaurant to ensure the views.

The breakfast served is outstanding, especially in the main restaurant. There was fruit, smoothies, baked goods, and of course Western breakfast dishes including eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. But there were also Japanese selections including miso soup and sushi. And Chinese and noodle choices. And grilled fish. It was truly brunch, and we certainly could not have imagined eating three meals in a day.

Because it is a private island, all the meals and drinks are at the resort. There are at least four or five different restaurants and several other options including beach BBQs and in-room dining. The food was high quality and varied, although pricey.

I'm an HH Diamond member, and the main Diamond benefit was a daily cocktail hour at one of the restaurants. This included an hors d'oeuvres and drinks from a special menu.

We had a great time, and found it very special, and hope to go back again.

When I have a chance I will load some photos.

Mikus33, MSYgirl, exelance331 and 4 others like this.