Conrad Koh Samui

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gleff, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Conrad Koh Samui's openinhg has been delayed and delayed but they're now taking bookings beginning September 1.

The property is all ocean view villas with private pools. The website suggests a one-bedroom villa, two-bedroom villa, and a presidential villa.

I am currently in the process of trying to make a booking on points for November. Though the paid room rate is over US$800 per night, it's a category 6 hotel so 40,000 points per night... and oddly when I'm logged in as a Diamond member it's 32,000 points per night. Which means that my 5 night stay is pricing lower as a regular award than it is as a VIP multi-night award. I'm getting ~ 2.5 cents per Hilton points which is pretty crazy, I'm usually thrilled at a penny a point. :)

Apparently though HHonors is having some weird system errors. Booking a 5-night stay I was 8k points short. I went to make the reservation and it wanted to charge me $264 to top off my points. So I went to straight up buy 10k points for $100 instead. But at the confirmation screen I got an error. It wouldn't let me buy points. So I went ahead and transferred the points needed in from Amex, there's a 20% bonus on Amex transfers through the end of the month which helps a little bit.

Well, the website wouldn't recognize the points had been added at the confirmation screen, even though my account now reflected the 160k points I needed for the booking. It wanted to charge me $264. So I called. They saw I had the points, no problem. Set up the reservation. But couldn't issue a certificate and were told that they couldn't issue any certificates at the moment and to just call back tomorrow to have the reservation converted to an award.

Frustrating, time consuming booking process but the property looks amazing and an amazing points value as well!

2. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    By looking at your blog it looks like you finally got the reservation squared away! Can't wait to see your report, I am looking to go back to Thailand next winter/spring (hopefully) and the Conrad Koh Samui is on my short list.

sdcarver

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely looking forward to hearing how fantastic this property is.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This property is now a category 7! Very glad I booked it last week...

50k a night instead of 40k
    5 night VIP reward 40k instead of 32k per night

The stay would have cost me an extra 40,000 HHonors points that I did not have!

5. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow that was quick!!!

sdcarver

Kalboz likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dangit, that's like an extra 20 beds I'm going to have to sleep in for my next trip to Thailand. GLeff.... lucky (in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice).

Minneapolis and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conrad Koh Samui is having 33% sale on paid nights
    [​IMG]

AaronInBKK and uggboy like this.
  8. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points:
    dkelly1110, theskyflyer and Kalboz like this.
  9. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Great review Bartla! I will be staying here in Feb and am very excited!

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We recently completed a 7-night stay at the Conrad Koh Samui (late Nov. 2013)

The setting and the views and the villas themselves are stunning. Every single room is a separate villa with a private lap pool with infinity edge. The villas are nice enough that you can practically spend the entire time in your villa. And the pools and decks are private enough that you can swim or sun as a naturist, in the nude.

The hotel is built into a steep hillside and constructed in such a way that every villa has a stunning view of the sea with some small islands, and the vanishing edge of the pool goes into the sea, so you don’t see any villas below you for the pool or deck.

Perhaps my favorite experience was that there are two hammocks hung at about water level in the sea. When there is a nice breeze and waves, it is a heavenly experience to lie there, rocked by rolling waves with a nice breeze. Having said that, the employees give inconsistent input regarding whether one should use the beach or swim in the ocean. They expressed concern about jellyfish and/or sea urchins, and on a stormy day about debris floating in the water. The resort could do a better job of clarifying for guests whether it is safe and recommended to swim in the ocean, and/or what precautions to take. I like to swim in the ocean. The resort does offer a complimentary boat to another island which is where they recommend swimming, but frankly I thought the swimming was maybe better right at the beach – I wish they would encourage it.

Prices are generally high for food, beverages and spa. There is a 2:1 happy hour at the pool bar/restaurant from 4-6 and at the mid-level bar from 5-7, which make prices reasonable. I thought the food was generally tasty, but not authentic Thai. They must have great expense sourcing their food to Koh Samui.

The Executive Chef was very personable and introduced himself. He offers a cooking class which covers several Thai dishes. It’s fun and easy and you end up with a meal and an apron. Well worth it.

On the whole, this is a romantic destination that you would want to share with a partner with whom you are close to and want to spend time with. There is not a whole lot to do here, so you should want to enjoy just being here, with your partner, and enjoying the experience.

The Internet connectivity was great – good speed and no problems.

There don’t seem to be many Diamond benefits, and I wasn't very clear on what were the Diamond benefits. All the villas seem the same to me, so I don’t see why any one villa would be an upgrade over another. I had read in Gary Leff’s blog (and promised my wife) that we would receive massages in the spa as a Diamond amenity, but on arrival we were told that that was an expired promotion that no longer applied. After tweeting my disappointment, we were offered massages in the spa (which is a beautiful facility, but the prices are high for Thailand), but don’t count on that in the future. We got 4 drink coupons, which was all for 2 people for a 7 night stay. And we were offered one car service during out stay. I don’t know if that was part of the Diamond benefits vs. what is offered to all. I don't know if I missed any Diamond benefits. Of course we got free breakfast and Internet, but those are Gold-level benefits.

The resort is very hilly. There is a fleet of golf carts, called buggies, to take you every where. We preferred walking, to get a bit of movement and exercise, but most guests ride on the buggies, and some of the staff seemed surprised we walked as much as we did.

It is about 45 minutes from the Koh Samui (USM) airport. Taxis are 1500 baht from the airport. Once at the resort you are pretty isolated. Some people rent cars from the airport, and traffic on Koh Samui seems easy but signage is limited. This really is mainly a chill vacation with someone you are close to. If you want action and activity, this may not be the right property.

Mikus33 and Kalboz like this.