Conrad Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sagefemme52, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Michelin considers the Conrad one of the best hotels in Hong Kong, along with the Shangri La's, The Mandarin Oriental and the Peninsula. Trip Advisor lists this as #11 of 5* hotels in Hong Kong, and among the top 25 "Traveler's Choice" hotels for 2010. Generally we stay in 3 or 4* hotels, and reserve our points stays for one of a kind, exceptional hotels, (in various hotel chains), around the world. This hotel certainly met those expectations in almost every way.
    This was our first visit to Hong Kong. We were staying on a Hilton HHonors AXON award, for four days last month. Our room was on the 59th floor, conveniently located down the hall from the Executive lounge. It was a king room of reasonably good size, with a peak view. Although we were not on the Harbor view side of the hotel, we made good use of the Executive lounge, and enjoyed the views of Victoria Harbor numerous times, both during the day and at night, from there. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub (with a rubber duck), a small TV, two sinks, and an array of toiletries. The in room safe was one of the largest we have ever had. The TV was flat panel, with HD reception, and a good choice of TV channels, in at least six or seven different languages. DVD's were delivered free to our room, with a good selection to choose from. We had a choice of wired or wireless internet, and service was good (free for this Gold). When we checked in, I mentioned that I like to be able to read a local paper and the International Herald Tribune, we received both every day. Our fruit and bottled waters were replenished every day, and for three of the four days of our stay, we had fresh hand made chocolates served in a little dim sum container. There was turn down service every evening. And, not to forget, we each had a Conrad stuffed bear.
    Breakfast was served in the Executive lounge, as well as in one of the restaurants downstairs. There was an excellent buffet , with a wide variety of both hot and cold items to choose from, in either location, and one could order a la carte in the restaurant as well. We particularly enjoyed the large bowls with a variety of different, fresh berries, every day. Tea is served in the Executive lounge every day from 3-5 pm, and Happy Hour is every day from 5-7 pm, with complimentary drinks. For both services there are hot and cold food choices, and they are replenished frequently. On occasion, the lounge was full during the times that food was served, but even with a steady flow of folks, we rarely waited for more than a couple of minutes for seating. Service is provided by butlers. We ate in the Golden Leaf for dinner one night. This is a Michelin 1* restaurant, and is comparable to 1* Michelin rated restaurants that we have eaten in, in Europe. Service is very attentive. The menu is a creative/modern Cantonese one. We enjoyed our food choices, especially as this was a departure from the more traditional Cantonese meals that we had been having up to this point in Hong Kong (and we ate WELL in Hong Kong). We were however, surprised to have gotten a table at this restaurant (last minute, on a Saturday night), given that the butler that we asked in the Executive lounge to make a reservation for us just an hour earlier, apparently was told that there wasn't anything available. I somehow doubt that a call was ever made by him, since once we went downstairs and peeked into the restaurant, we noted only one table taken; and the maitre d' readily welcomed us in for dinner.
    Overall we loved our stay. The location, amongst some of the best shopping in Hong Kong, with amazing views, was terrific. The service and quality of all that was on offer was excellent. We certainly hope to be back.

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great review, sagefemme52. Made me want to book tickets just to stay there. [​IMG]

3. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your review is spot-on. We actually made it down to the main lobby breakfast one morning, and there was a huge selection, but nothing that we hadn't seen at some point in the Lounge.

But I have one question, something we debated during our stay. We spent a lot of time in the executive lounge, and the service was uniformly friendly and excellent. Is is expected/ appropriate/ inappropriate to tip the Executive Lounge butlers in any way?

4. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how long it takes by taxi from Airport to Conrad and back. We will have 19 hour layover in Hong Kong and we will be staying at this hotel. I heard that if it is 2 people the taxi is not all that expensive per person when compared to taking a train/underground. Does anyone have any experience?

5. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trip will be between 45 min - 60 min depending on the time of travel.

6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds about right. One could also take the very convenient airport train to the end and then a taxi. That will be slightly cheaper for two (purchase a two person ticket!), but not much. Same for the time -- without traffic it will be slightly faster, but not much. I'd pick based on the time of arrival. If it isn't a peak travel time I'd ;)pt for the taxi. Taxis are fairly inexpensive in HK. That said, I do like the train :p

sithlord likes this.
  7. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taxi can be ¾ to 1¼ hours depending on traffic. Taxi fare will cost HKD300 - HKD350 plus HKD5 per bag in trunk.

The Airport Express Train runs from 6am through 12:30am every 12 minutes and tkes 24 miniutes for the journey from HKIA to Central Station. It's HKD160 o/w for the airport express train if 2 people are travelling together.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_express/promotions_4persons.html

Also, the Airport Express has courtesy buses from Central station that stops right outside the Conrad.

8. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience at Conrad HKG has been excellent for many years. I consider the service from the Exec Lounge people to be always outstanding. I have enjoyed getting to know them over the years.

9. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this info! I do like trains, but Mrs. PedroNY prefers taxi over a train. Maybe I can convince her otherwise. It does not sound too expensive, at least compared to taking a taxi from Conrad Tokyo to Haneda airport, it was 15 minutes and cost us $75!

Best,

PedroNY

10. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The train in HK is very convenient and very fast. I'd suggest getting a taxi after you get ;)ff the train, rather than the free bus. I wasn't terribly pleased with the free bus the one time I took it. I had to wait 10 minutes and it stopped at 3 more hotels after I was picked up. Taxis in HK are very inexpensive. From Hong Kong station to the Conrad can't cost as much as $5US.

JDiver and sithlord like this.
  11. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Conrad loses marks in my mind for having an unbranded duck!

Jeff

JDiver likes this.
  12. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a great stay at the Conrad Hong Kong a couple years ago. I got the less desirable "mountan view" side of the building, but I thought the view was spectacular. The lounge staff is top notch.

13. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the monorails remind you of Disney or Epcot?[​IMG]

14. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there twice on award stays, 11 nights total, four years apart, under the older Cat 6 redemption rates. The Executive Lounge and staff are outstanding, and I'm not usually a big lounge person. And the location with both the subway and the tram is excellent.

But now that I'm no longer Diamond and the redemption rates are up, I'm not sure if I'd redeem there if Gold. The rooms are starting to get a bit worn, and without the lounge access I'm not sure it would be the same value. My next trip there will probably not be until late 2013 or 2014, however, so a lot could change by then.

gemac likes this.
  15. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Conrad Hong Kong is currently under some renovation, though I can't concur with the report the rooms are getting shabby at all after January and February stays (both 59th floor).

The residential floors are 40 - 61, iirc, and the 59th Club Lounge, managed by able Customer Service Manager Eunice Ho, is connected to at least floors 58 and 60 by a spiral staircase. The Lounge offers breakfast, tea (as in the English usage) and a two hour drinks and hors d'oeuvres period 5 - 7 PM. Though the lounge is often nearly full on the side closer to the "goodies", there is another half and a groups room, often with tables available. Showing up at 6 PM or even a bit later is OK, as some have left and the staff replenishes all the hot and cold food items until the "last call" for drinks about 7:45 PM.

The hotel can be accessed via a hotel-arranged limo (about HKD $800 if I recall), taxi (add the bridge toll and any tip you care to give - rounding up is the usual in Hong Kong), or Airport Express train. The train is modern, spacious and clean, provided with luggage racks, comfortable seating and WiFi; Hong Kong termini include Kowloon and Central; a free shuttle bus from Central departs to the Shangri La, Conrad, J W Marriott and on every 28 minutes, and takes a very short time - though on the return, you will make a bit of a tour of other hotels. One can also take the subway to the next station, Admiralty, albeit there is no handy way to take a lot of luggage if the train is near crowded, and walk halfway down the Pacific Place Mall and up three floors to the Conrad lifts / elevators.

Access to the elevators for residential and Executive floors is via magnetic key card, so to check in on the 59th floor, one must request access from the front desk or from a bellman.

The Conrad is very comfortable and solicitous of your stay, and both Peak and Harbour views are quite nice - though it can be quite hazy in the dry season.

AlaskaAir738, sagefemme52 and gemac like this.
  16. AlaskaAir738
    Original Member

AlaskaAir738 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice review. The Airport Express train with the H1 courtesy bus make for a fairly quick and easy link between the airport and the hotel. The Executive lounge is great and the downstairs breakfast buffet selection is outstanding.

17. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is probably a weird question, but why not...

Does anyone know if they are currently giving out the standard Conrad Bear at Hong Kong? There were some reports on FT that during construction they gave out a HK Conrad Bear with a hard hat, so it sort of became a collector's item. I just wanted to know if that bear made an appearance as someone here reported renewed construction at the hotel.

I know it is a silly question, it's just I collect these Conrad toys...

Best,

PedroNY

18. AlaskaAir738
    Original Member

AlaskaAir738 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Standard bears there two weeks ago.

19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good review of the place. Still remains one of my favorite hotels.

Regarding the construction bear it may happen. They did give it out during my 2006 stay.

Also, if there is work going on, you may be able to ask them for one or if you can purchase one. I remember seeing a christmas one in the shop downstairs.

20. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Standard Conrad Hong Kong bear - but o/a Feb 11, I scored a Conrad kung hei fat choy lunar New Year bear. They also have Christmas bears (I've got one), and they sell a pair of newlywed bears in full wedding regalia as well; though there was some ratatatting (minor) construction going on when I was there in January, no construction bear was available like the one I got in 2006.

PedroNY likes this.
  21. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Conrad kung hei fat choy lunar New Year bear! Wow! I need to step it up and visit his hotel frequently.

22. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    We were there over Chinese New Year as well and didn't receive a kung hei fat choy Conrad bear - bummer.

23. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently the "normal" bear. They only used the construction bear during major renovations which finished a while (maybe a couple of years ago). I have had Christmas and some other "occasion" bears. I find I can't leave them (or the ducks) behind, but struggle to give them away now, although a few friends have a good bear collection now! Same goes for SIN Conrad bears. As I don't work in Asia during CNY, I have no bears from then.

24. TexasYankee

TexasYankee Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have ben there 3 times and have managed to get the same as above but a harbor view. Does it get any better than this? Being diamond helps ... :)

25. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the thorough review, did you happen to notice if Eunice is still working in the Lounge? She was amazing in her welcome and hospitality.

sdcarver

Tenmoc likes this.