Conrad Hong Kong Question - Gold Status

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Flyerdad, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the Conrad Hong Kong. I have gold status and am using an AXON award in early July. Will we automatically be upgraded to an Executive Lounge floor as gold members? Would you recommend e-mailing reservations at the hotel in advance to request an upgrade? Thanks very much for your help--this is definitely an aspirational stay so hoping for the best possible experience.

LeeInDC, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will chime in. I stayed at the Conrad HKG 4 times between Dec 2012 and Jan 2013 and was upgraded to a suite every time, but I am Diamond. As a HH Gold, I like your chances because of the generally high degree of status recognition that still exists in this part of the world. So, if the property is not too full, you should be upgraded, no gimmicks. You might not even have to request it because if it is available it is yours...

I wish you good luck and nice stay at a great property and area of HKG!

LeeInDC, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are staying there for 5 nights in March. I would welcome any recommendations you have for sights and dining.

uggboy, LeeInDC and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of places to eat in HK in just about every flavor in the world, so I will not recommend anything about dining. Besides, I like extremely spicy (hot) cuisine like Sichuan (great Sichuan Restaurants in Kwoloon), which many people do not. For sightseeing, however, I would urge that you go to the Stanley Market (Google it).Requires a bus ride to get there but you get to see some beautiful country along the way and then once there, you'll plunge into one of the most vibrant, esoteric and popular attractions in HKG. It is a "Market" and much much more...

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you like Dimsum, try the 1 Dimsum on prince Edward in MongKok. It isn't as crazy as Tim Ho Won. The other Michelin rated restaurant. It is a small 25-30 seats maybe. Be prepared to wait but so worth it. You must try the little egg tarts that they sell on the street. (Hopefully no egg allergies) The "most famous" sort of expensive but so well worth. A branch of the famous stall in North Point is on 178 Nathan road in TST. They have been featured on various HK/Asian cooking and travel shows.

As a starter, I actually read up on CNNGO 40 best things to eat in HK. Of course it is a guide and how adventurous or not someone is and food preferences.

If you are into a more high end meal, my wife ha one of the best meals in a very long time at Ming's Court at the langham hotel in TST. There are two so check for the one that has Ming's Court. Not that expensive for a Michelin starred restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy, LeeInDC and marcwint55 like this.
  6. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed as a HH Gold 5 times over the last couple of years and was upgraded to an Executive room (not suite) every time, even on cheap Points and Cash awards. Can't guarantee it clearly, but I'd say the chances are very high. As mentioned by NYCUA1K, there are fewer status junkies in Asia, and status has a lot more weight.

The Executive Lounge is great, though I now rank the Conrad Seoul above the HK one.

uggboy, LeeInDC and marcwint55 like this.
  7. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    @NYC @Saracen: So glad to hear it--thanks for the feedback (and for the restaurant recommendations)!

uggboy likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at HKG Conrad once, last year over Thanksgiving, and I was NOT upgraded to the executive level as HHonors Gold. They apologized and gave me two free drink vouchers for the lobby bar :-/. This was an AXON award stay.

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Just write the same thing about Conrad Tokyo. Except I didn't even get an apology or HH gold recognition.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I didn't get upgraded to executive level at the Conrad Tokyo either. The room was rather nice facing the water and the continental breakfast buffet was the best I have ever seen anywhere. So I would definitely stay there again (though I probably won't given the cost in points). Not complaining about HKG treatment either; Gold isn't guaranteed Lounge access, and I am cool with that. The full breakfast we got in the restaurant in HKG was great.

11. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Got the same view. Hopefully our experience will be the same. At the price point of 95k I probably won't either given that I don't stay enough at HH or generate enough spend to rack it up fast enough. However, I can generate enough UR. Hopefully a hyatt devaluation doesn't occur anytime soon.

12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I decided to book one extra night at the Conrad in HK for next March and the points and cash of 32,000 points and $160.00 cash did not seem like a bad deal for the property. The other four nights were booked with points prior to the devaluation.

uggboy and Singapore Flyer like this.
  13. LeeInDC

LeeInDC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damn. I'll be there this Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll have better luck.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It wasnt bad though I have to say the KL Hilton is a bit better with more hot selections and just as many fresh fruits and choices.

uggboy, marcwint55 and Saracen like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the recent deval perhaps you are lucky and by then they have fewer Golds on award stays competing with you for an upgrade.

marcwint55 and LeeInDC like this.
  16. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to concur on the KL properties; their breakfast selections are unsurpassed.

17. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a Gold, just there for a night in May. We were upgraded to a suite on the Executive Floor. It was, hands down, the nicest I have ever been treated at any hotel. They were extremely generous and my only regret is we were there one short night.

Princess Fiona, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  18. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am the OP and we just completed our four night stay at the Conrad on an AXON award, as a gold. We were upgraded to the executive floor and a spectacular harbor view. I did email the hotel about a month in advance requesting an upgrade. The service at this hotel was outstanding; they treat Gold members incredibly well. Ken, in particular, took extremely good care of me and my son every time he saw us.