Conrad Brussels thread

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by violist, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    All right, I have to admit, diamond has its privileges, and I was treated to a
    double upgrade to a room that had more space than I and three friends could
    have used: kind of strange rattling around in it.

Overall: it's in that grand hotel category that I don't care for, with the
    staff somewhere between deferential and obsequious (you might like
    this, I don't particularly). Lobby luxurious and rather beautiful.

The room was pretty glorious for E120 a night - an extremely nice big comfy
    bed and an extremely nice big bathroom with separate bath and shower.

Location: about 1/4 mile south of Louise/Louiza station, very convenient
    to everything. The neighborhood was quiet but punctuated through the
    night by sirens (I wonder if there's a hospital nearby).

Breakfast - quite good, with a large number of choices. The scrambled
    eggs were bizarre curds in whey; I am told that if one has the full breakfast
    included in one's rate, one can have eggs made to order for no additional fee.

uggboy likes this.
  2. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the best Hilton family breakfast I've had. Rome Cavalieri, Conrad Hong Kong or here.

uggboy likes this.
  3. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the rooms at the Conrad Brussels are ENORMOUS! It's a decent location; not far from a Metro stop and easily accessed from Gare du Midi, the station from which the Eurostar and Thalys trains depart. That's an amazing rate you got, violist. Mine was closer to €200.

uggboy likes this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made it up to them at the hotel bar "Loui," a most comfortable place.

uggboy likes this.
  5. AHN
    Original Member

AHN Silver Member

Status Points:
    How is the lounge? I am considering this property now that the Hilton Brussels left the chain. (I doubt I will return to the Hilton Brussels City.)

uggboy likes this.
  6. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, at least as of a year ago, there wasn't one.

uggboy likes this.
  7. AHN
    Original Member

AHN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's a big disappointment.

uggboy likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spent two nights at the Conrad Brussels last week. Don't particularly care for the style of the hotel, but the room was comfortable with a view of a side street/alley. Don't think I got any special treatment as a Gold HHonors member, other than the 1000 points I elected as a choice. Breakfast was included in the EUR 149 prepaid rate, and while it would have been nice to sit outside on the terrance, the construction (jack-hammering, literally!) that's going on in their courtyard made it an unpleasant experience, so the second morning we opted to eat inside (still noisy as the doors to the terrasse were wide open).

The rooms all have Nespresso machines, which I liked a lot (compared to, say, the Nescafe instant coffee brew they seem to serve at breakfast). After we used up all four regular coffee capsules the first evening/morning, we expected housekeeping to restock them, but after we came back from a day of exploring at around 4pm, all we had available were the two decafs. As I was heading down to the garage to get something out of the car, I stopped by the front desk and asked if they could get housekeeping to bring us new capsules. I also mentioned that the room only had two water glasses in the bathroom and one (1!) champagne glass next to the minibar, and could we please have a couple more glasses to, say, enjoy a fine Belgium beer (of which there are several in the minibar). Finally, mentioned that one of the water glasses hadn't been cleaned/replaced. Front desk wrote everything down and promised to send someone. We waited in the room until 7pm and nothing happened, so we left a note for the person doing the turn-down service and left for dinner. When we came back, coffee was restocked, but no new glasses had been delivered.

Next day we checked out and left for our next stop, Bruges. Upon arrival, I discovered that I had left a pair of pants hanging in the closet at the Conrad. We weren't originally planning on returning to Brussels, and the pants weren't expensive enough to justify UPS/Fedexing them, but I figured if they did have them, I would consider a 50 km detour driving through Brussels to pick them up two days later. So I sent them an email at the address published on their webpage, brusselsinfo@conradhotels.com, and asked if they had found them and if I could pick them up two days later. No reply. Today, ONE WEEK later, I receive an email from housekeeping asking if I would like to pick them up on Thursday of this week. I am back in the US now. Not a big deal as it (a) was my fault that I forgot them and (b) since it would have been only marginally worth it to return to the hotel to pick them up considering time and gasoline costs. But quite frankly, it disappoints me that the hotel didn't respond more quickly to the email. In fact, the customer service I would expect in the year 2011 from a hotel like the Conrad is that they'd proactively look up my email address (from the reservation record) upon finding the pants in the room and send me a message notifying me of the find.

The ice machine on our floor never worked (I tried it both days), but after the lack of response to the coffee request I didn't bother notifying anyone as it seemed like a waste of my time.

It was my first trip to Brussels, so I can't compare the Conrad with any other hotels in the city, but I would probably opt to stay at a different hotel next time around.

Oh, and no Conrad bear (or other animal) was found in the room, in case anyone wonders.

uggboy likes this.
  9. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from a four night stay (FHR pay for three, get four). I wanted a signature terrace room on the inside (courtyard) so was pleased with the room I selected. While the rate was high enough (E309), it included breakfast, E85 food credit plus a seemingless endless supply of bottled water- which I appreciated (am only H silver). Room very quiet, terrace lovely except for the smokers above and below at times. Housekeeping service uneven- feather free apparently means not completely free; different turn down arrangement depending on the day, but not a deal breaker. I found out after check in that they had waived the internet fee as well (this was not indicated to be in the room rate). It was a bit farther from the European Commission mothership than I was initially lead to believe, but E10 cab rides don't break the budget. All in all, a very nice stay.

10. fets
    Original Member

fets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Conrad Brussels is sold to the Steigenberger group and will not be a Conrad anymore from January 1st on:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/28/4862940/steigenberger-hotel-group-steigenberger.html

I really liked the hotel, great breakfast (for free) as a HH Gold, responsive staff, plenty of shopping and food nearby. Great rates (99EUR) when there were promos running. We upgraded to a terrace room (124) on the inner courtyard for 20 EUR and it was an amazing experience.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I'm glad I'm about to get a boatload of points stay there Real Soon Now.