Conrad Bangkok

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by IMGone, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here as a Diamond, received upgraded room and Lounge access. Lounge was beautiful and staff very helpful. They had breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks. There were a few PCs available for use in a side room. The staff provided concierge assistance, as needed.

My final bill (at 5am) showed a charge for what was supposed to be a complimentary service (a pressing charge, I believe) - the front desk was very helpful, but didn't have the authority to remove it right then. I asked for a note indicating this should be included, and I had an email from the front desk mgr before I got home that it was all taken care of. Lovely service!

The shuttle service offered to BTS is a bit quirky to use and seems more geared towards the commuters and mall shoppers, with the hotel an afterthought. On the weekend, when the driver took his dinner break, the service just stopped for close to an hour - no sign or warning, it just wasn't available. I ended up walking about 50% of the time.

I was given a corner executive room. It had a small walk in closet, very nice sized bathroom and a hallway to get into the room.
    bangkok conrad - corner room next stop.jpg

The bathroom

bangkok conrad bathroom.jpg

and for me, my first Conrad animals
    my first conrad animal.jpg
    and
    woo hoo and my second conrad, in lieu of rubber duckie, rubber elephant.jpg

Kalboz, Seacarl, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The tea service was always good, here is one of the treats - white chocolate mousse, but this was all about that raspberry sauce!

white choc mousse but it was all abt the raspberry sauce - exec lounge at conrad.jpg

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.
  3. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades to the Executive Floors have been consistent for this Diamond. Breakfast includes hot and cold selections. I would add that the "evening snacks" are quite substantial and can easily constitute a light dinner. The lounge attendants are very friendly and willing to assist.

The Conrad Bangkok is connected to a small shopping mall with a grocery, several "mall-type" eateries, and at least one massage facility with rates substantially less than those at the Conrad's own spa.

The hotel is within reasonable walking distance of the BTS if the Shuttle doesn't appear as scheduled.

Kalboz and Fredd like this.
  4. I stayed there about six weeks over three trips just after it opened and really loved it.
    Got status with Hilton for the first time because of it.

During the Red Shirt festival last summer it was close enough.

The lead Concierge is very nice, I spoke to him a few times as he explained some of the rioting issues. Conrad was at about 30% occupancy, but at least it was open.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

restlessinRNO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with gvdIAD. Often the Conrad shuttle mini-van seems to be waiting for me on Wireless Road as I exit the Phloen Chit BTS station. [​IMG] However it seems to be used more by employees than guests, as far as I can tell. It is a modest walk as long as you don't have heavy luggage and it is not raining.

Kalboz and Fredd like this.
  6. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed my time at the hotel this past August with an upgrade to an Exec floor room with lounge access but found it a little annoying that the front desk agent who checked us in, seemed to "remind/mention" that no shorts were allowed at least five different times between the walk from the front desk, up the elevator and to the room if we were to visit the lounge. Personally, I got it the first 2-3x that short's are not cool to wear up there.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    They probably think some Westerners are very hard of hearing, since they can tell them more than once and they still wear shorts to the lounge. [​IMG]

8. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I think I spent half the time walking back to the the hotel from the BTS station as the time it took to wait for the shuttle was better spent walking and enjoying the sights and sounds of Bangkok.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm here now. To add some details to my earlier post, tonight, the hot appetizers on offer included prawns, mini-crab cakes, satay, fish tempura, a mini-spinach quiche, salmon & avocado, and one I'm forgetting. There are 5 cheeses, crackers, grapes, and three kinds of cookies. If you're just in a snacking mood, there are potato chips, pretzels, and peanuts.

Also, there's an Asia Books store in the mall for those of us who managed to finish more of our reading than expected and prefer paper to electrons.

Kalboz, FLYGVA and gemac like this.
  10. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    I like this hotels (a few more photo fo a stay back in 2009: www.hotels-and-travel.de/hotelberichte/hilton/hotel_bkk_cd.htm). Will be there in May, but also try a few other properties to compare it. Until now, it is still one of my favourite hotels in Bangkok.

Btw, I never have used the shuttle but always walk the (in my eyes) short distance.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    Is this new? I can't remember to have seen one during my last visit (but have to admit, that I do not spent too much time in this mall

Kalboz likes this.
  12. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not the distance, it is the humidity/heat you experience during that walk! :)

Kalboz likes this.
  13. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's new. I recall shopping there about 3 years ago. It's located on the first floor (ground floor in Europe-speak), near the Starbucks. It's not large, but does have a decent selection of books on Thailand & SE Asia, including design books, cookbooks, and travel books, as well as current fiction, some mysteries, and biographies/memoirs, as well as childrens' books and a smattering of other titles.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it's been there a few years. It never seems to be very busy. I always seem to be walking through the mall, to get from the hotel to Wireless Road. The mall also has an ATM machine, which like most Thai ATMs, charges a 150 THB service fee.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    cennas, restlessinRNO and theskyflyer like this.
  16. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Conrad too, but its location is a bit of a pain if one wants to beat Bangkok traffic by taking BTS/MRT.

I love its proximity to CURRIES AND MORE, one of my favorites in BKK.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz - Nice pictures, which I might mention are of the Conrad's corner rooms, slightly more expensive than their regular rooms.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if I can agree with you here. I found the Conrad an easy walk from the Phloen Chit BTS station.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you restlessinRNO ... yes, you can say that again, they were expensive ... I had to take a second on my house to pay that rate! [​IMG]

20. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The corner room was my upgrade as a diamond staying on an award. Was pleased with the room and closet space provided.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  22. Actually I Conrad is a nice hotel, but if you travel with younger children I suggest to stay elsewhere For what it's worth the mattress was definately one of the harder ones ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bthobe and Kalboz like this.
  23. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The mattresses are firm here is a bit of an understatement. Be it known that if you sit down hard on the bed, there is not much give to it and you may even bruise your back side. Granted, for someone like my girlfriend who enjoys a firm mattress, this place was perfect for her.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    A nice hotel, I have always had good experiences here.

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here last week. Great Hotel. Excellent Service. Nice live Jazz in the Diplomat. Very good executive lounge with a great breakfast.

Bathroom is definitely designed for couples- given the glass wall and electric curtains :)

Pool area is OK- but for example the Four Seasons or SGS have a nicer pool.

Will stay here again shortly- definitely on my Top 3 list in BKK.

Kalboz likes this.