Conrad Bali

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by luv2travel, May 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a trip to Bali in late May and will be staying at the Conrad Bali. (I actually struggled between the Conrad and the two Hyatt properties.) I have no idea what to expect but thought others on here might be able to share their insight. I have never stayed at a Conrad property before though I have friends that have said good things. I am a Diamond HH Member so I am hoping to get some nice perks. Any helpful info would be great! :cool:

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  2. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never stayed there myself, but it appears to be a very fine property..
    Also, FWIW, I've never been dissaponted at an Asian Conrad..
    Conrad at Pacific Place, Hong Kong & Singapore were both great, for example :)
    And I've been to Grankd Hyatt Bali in Nusa Dua & Bali Hyatt in Sanur.. both both quite nice..
    I'm guessing you will love it..
    Frankly, I wish I was going! :)

nime01, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  3. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Conrad Bali. Been there couple of times. Again, every one has different opinion. I like the ambiance. Not too far from the airport. Thus, shorter distance to go to Seminyak or Kuta, compare to staying at Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, which location is further south of the airport. Enjoy the buffet breakfast at the Conrad. Oh yes, I am sure as Diamond you will get better perks.
    Some likes Bali Hyatt in Sanur. It's near residential neigbourhood. Great gardens. But for me, it's too dark. Yes, the furniture make the room feels darker.

nime01, lwkatya and uggboy like this.
  4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some pictures from Conrad Bali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No status for Conrad. This is the standard room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

notme2012, ChrisUNC, nime01 and 7 others like this.
  5. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pictures! It looks like an awesome property. Glad I had some of those extra Free Night Certificates leftover from last year. :)

nime01, doc, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

hungarianhc and uggboy like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Diamonds are treated well here. There's a nice club lounge, and they do upgrade Diamonds when possible to suites in the Conrad Wing. So good upgrade possibilities. If you're a Hilton Diamond this is a good property to consider in Bali, depending of course on where you want to be and you're price point but you'll get good value for dollar with your elite status here and it's a nice property.

nime01, chitownflyer and uggboy like this.
  8. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if Golds can use the club lounge as well?

nime01 likes this.
  9. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked with a friend who has a Gold status. He said the upgrade is only to SEA VIEW ROOM, and FREE BREAKFAST.

10. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for starting this thread. We are also staying here later this year (June/July), we are looking forward to our stay. I heard on other boards (FT) that Golds/Diamonds are treated well here, some get exceptional upgrades, others just one room upgrade, it depends if it is high season (July-Sep, Christmas) or low season and the length of stay. Tripadvisor has close to 500 posts on this property, I believe overwhelming majority rate it as high as possible, very few dissapointed people.

Enjoy your stay, and please post about your treatment there, we are excited to hear more about it!

Best,

PedroNY

11. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Random question: does anyone know if the DVD players here will play U.S. DVDs? I'm worried about the region coding thing. Thanks!

nime01 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this problem all over the world- if you get this software http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html you won't have a problem. What I do is use my laptop as the "drive" and output to the TV using the same cable as for an LCD projector. In some hotels the TV doesn't have an input- in which case the only solution is to watch the movie on the laptop (not that great).

uggboy, nime01 and mrredskin like this.
  13. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I know, most (if not all) DVD players in Indonesia are multi-region DVD players. They can play DVDs from any regions. I wouldn't worry if I were you, I never had any problems.

uggboy, nime01 and lwkatya like this.
  14. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is great! It's both beautiful and at least for a Diamond the staff, especially in the Conrad Suites Lounge, were incredibly helpful. We *didn't* get any sort of suite upgrade, but the sea view room was large and well appointed, and we found it first class.

A couple notes: The walking path between the hotel and the water is really the only way to go anywhere from the hotel--- don't try walking on the street! Traffic going by whizzes maybe two feet from you--- much more pleasant to use the beach path. One direction, toward the peninsula point, gets you to the little town, which is worth doing but won't rock your world. The other direction, toward Nusa Dua, gives an amazing view of many different hotels and you can walk for a long ways, ending up at the Nusa Dua shopping center, maybe two miles away.

The cabanas on the beach at the Conrad get snapped up VERY early in the morning; we never did get one, even on days when it rained. The hotel's drivers are very good, but cost about double what you can get from other sources. We did it both ways: hotel drivers, and also getting a car from a local guy. Both turned out fine. TRAFFIC in the area is a total drag: getting above the airport to go up into the hills or to Ubud is a LONG process; when we go again, I intend to stay at the Conrad for a few nights AFTER staying up in Seminyak or Ubud for a few days, so we can enjoy the northern areas without having to make the drive up from Nusa Dua.

The Conrad has good food at Rin, but we enjoyed Bumbu Bali down the street twice over several nights. Amazing food. Less good is the famous strip of beach restaurants at Jimbaran Bay to the southwest of the hotel for their "sunset dinners". Hugely expensive fish, and extremely ordinary preparation, just a nice sunset on the beach.

Have a good trip; Bali is beautiful and however you do it, it's worth going.

uggboy, nime01, mrredskin and 2 others like this.
  15. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Very helpful.

uggboy and nime01 like this.
  16. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from my wonderful trip to Bali and very much enjoyed staying at the Conrad Bali.

I was upgraded to the new Conrad Suites and enjoyed access to the Conrad Lounge. As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, you receive complimentary breakfast at their Rin restaurant (which includes a continental buffet, omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc.), afternoon tea and snacks from 3-5pm, and then appetizers and drinks from 5pm-7pm. Appetizers are an assortment of chef creations and drinks include alcohol and tropical drinks. There is no limit. I also received free laundry and 15% off of food purchases and spa treatments at the hotel. There is also a private pool for Conrad Suite guests.

A note to HH Diamond members, while over there I ran into a fellow Diamond member. This person cashed in points and free night certificates whereas I paid the actual room rate. Apparently the hotel would not upgrade him to the Conrad Suites section of the hotel but just to the best available room. However, he was given access to the Lounge. So keep that in mind...I guess it depends on what you want. Maybe others on this thread can give more insights...

From the moment you arrive, if you stay in the Conrad Suites you will be taken care of. They will send someone to walk with you to your suite and walk you through all the add-ins of staying there. From the scent of the oil that burns in your room to the fresh fruit and newspaper delivered daily, you customize what you want. You are guaranteed to love the room. We were given a huge living room, dining area, bedroom, reading area, bathroom, and patio. It was all modern and up to date - rain shower, flat screens, etc. The hotel was very quiet while we were there and especially the Conrad Suites section. We had no problem getting cabanas or seats by the pools.

My one and only complaint was the beach at the Conrad. I guess I was expecting something like Hawaii or maybe California where the beach is sandy and somewhat nice. Definitely not. We ended up going to Kuta, Sanur, and Padang Padang for our beach experiences. All were very nice. We took a walk down to the Westin and other hotels in Nusa Dua and the beaches were a little better down there. Just as a prior poster said, take the path by the hotel and not the road...in all seriousness you could get hit by a car along the road. Don't worry about being solicited for water activities or massages...I can't tell you how many times we got that throughout Bali. Just say no and they will go away.

Bali itself was fascinating. The people of Bali are incredibly helpful and speak very good English. We had absolutely no language issues. We took taxis to get around - often on our beach excursions we negotiated either the cab coming back or staying there for a few hours. The exchange rate when I went was roughly $100 USD for $750,000 Rupiah. I would absolutely recommend not driving there. If you are adventurous and a thrill seeker, you may try a moped.

Recommendations on places to visit...go to Uluwatu. Specifically the temple there. You will not be disappointed by the views, architecture, and animals there. While over there you should pick a quiet beach for the afternoon and make a day of it.

Definitely looking to return to Bali one day! :)

notme2012, nime01, mrredskin and 5 others like this.
  17. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this review, hope there are more to come!

uggboy and nime01 like this.
  18. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to give an update.

We arrived here 2 days ago and we are very happy with our stay. We were upgraded to the ocean side room, it is not a suite, but it is a large Conrad room and it has all that we could possibly need. As a Hilton Honors Diamond members we are using the Conrad Suites Lounge for breakfast, we tried the afternoon tea, and we had cocktails from 5 to 7pm every night. The service is exceptional, maybe I am jaded from U.S. based hotels, but hotels in Asia are just much much better than U.S. and Europe, IMHO.

The beach is not the main attraction here, every day there are hundreds of jet skis, water boats, and other water sport activities, but in all honestly, it does not bother me or Mrs. PedroNY. I been enjoying the beach bale hut, just relaxing, reading and watching people on the beach. As others mentioned, you need to get these huts early in the day, but that is not a problem, due to jetlag, we are up before 7am.

The staff here are exceptional. Out on the beach, each chair has a towel ready before you get there, they walk around and give you cold water, water mist, fresh fruit, just fantastic. Through out hotel everything is getting cleaned constantly, you see staff everywhere, just taking care of the property. The gym area is getting cleaned at least twice an hour, you can tell that they care about your comfort here.

All and all Conrad Bali is a wonderful hotel. We have another 7 nights here, and so far I'd say top notch, no problems of any kind. We are excited that we have another week to go.

Cheers,

PedroNY

notme2012, uggboy, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  19. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pedro,

Should have checked MP. We overlapped. There was actually a third FT/MPer there at the same time.

The only problem with this hotel is the massive depression that sets in once you get home. We arrived on 7/6 and were pleased to find out that we had been upgraded to the Conrad Suites on a reward stay (My wife is Diamond.).

We were walked over to the suite, which overlooked the pool. The suite itself was huge, with a nice balcony off the living room. There was a basket of fruit waiting for us, as well as a checklist where we selected everything from the fruit we wanted to the type of pillow. The bathroom was the size of a NYC co-op and had a shower stall and huge bath, as well as Acca Kappa amenities. They will also do laundry for you on a daily basis, which means that you don't need to bring home piles of dirty clothes.

The lounge was as good as any I've seen, with seemingly non-stop food and drinks as well as a remarkable staff. Breakfast was a decent buffet served in Rin downstairs from the lounge. There was also a menu that you could order from, and I'd recommend the pancakes with strawberries. The lounge buffet had probably 90% of the items that the main buffet had, without the crowds. Breakfast was served from 7-11 (the time, not the restaurant). Tea time was from 3-5, with an endless supply of afternoon tea items (As soon as you finished what they gave you, they were on top of you to get you more.) and cocktail hour from 5-7, with a lighter supply of appetizers. There were a wide variety of alcoholic drinks on the menu, but neither DW nor I is a drinker, so we stuck to juices (freshly squeezed, of course), milkshakes and smoothies. You could easily eat enough at the lounge that you would never have to pay for a meal. There were also two computers and I never saw them both used at the same time.

The Suites also had its own pool and there were ten bales around the pool. We usually grabbed one at about 8 am (There was never a problem getting one at any hour.) and spent most of the day reading. The staff, of course, brought everything from towels to bottles of water. Life is tough.

In the lounge, the employees were remarkable. They did everything from arrange transportation (We have a great driver, if anyone needs one.) to make dinner reservations. Everything was done to make us feel special; For example, I asked for a second Conrad Monkey for my kids and they brought it to me five minutes later, carrying it on a silver platter. We really did feel like royalty.

Restaurant note: Everyone seems to like Bumbu Bali, but we preferred Cardamon. Reasonably priced, excellent food and, like many of the other restaurants, they will pick you up and drop you off. The hotel restaurants were largely unremarkable.

One note: It would have been nice if they had a designated non-smoking area at the pool (e.g., make one set of bales smoking and the other non-smoking). If you happened to have a smoker in the bale next to you, for instance, it was hard to keep the smoke out. Obviously, smoking is much more prevalent in Asia and we knew that going in, but it's worth noting.

Overall, I've been trained by internet bulletin boards to find something to complain about, no matter how good the trip was, but I'm having a tough time here. The property, staff and environment were tremendous and we had a simply remarkable stay.

Mike

notme2012, nime01, uggboy and 6 others like this.
  20. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering cashing in the majority of my HH points here for honeymoon next year. Only a gold, tho. Would it be advantageous to spend a little more (points) up front to guarantee an ocean view, and then inquire about receiving complimentary lounge/reception for the stay?

If the beach isn't that great at this property, are there others that could be recommended for a 2-3 night stay somewhere else on the island? I've got about 150k PC points and about 70k Starwood, as well.

21. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were you, I'd shoot for the lounge access over the ocean view. The lounge is probably one of the best I've ever been to. Both breakfast and the evening drinks were just awesome. If you've traveled to the beaches in Hawaii or Australia then I think you may be disappointed with the beach in this part of Bali. I would definitely not swim there.

The beach that we really enjoyed happened to be over in Uluwatu. If you could find a property over there then I'd say go for it.

22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best advice I can give after my recent Hong Kong visit: go for points & cash and put in for the $ upgrade to the exec room. (I haven't been to Bali, though.)

23. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  24. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So Mark, which airline did you choose to commute between SIN and DPS?

uggboy likes this.
  25. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ likes this.