CONNECTION TIMES: LAX - Intl to Domestic - EL Al (LY) J class to AA F class

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by Travelman, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where this question should be posted since it is not about miles & is not just one airline specific - more Airport specific :)

El Al (LY) arrives LAX at 06:35am. Connecting AA flight to HNL would leave at 8:30am. Arrive in J class, leave in F class. US citizen. Connection time is 1hr 55min.

Is this doable at this time of morning?
    If not, then the next AA flight with F award availability is not until the next morning.

Thanks for your observations for clearing immigration, customs, security at this time of day

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three questions:
    Would this be one ticket or two?
    Will you be checking any luggage?
    Do you have Global Entry?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely doable and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not necessarily the easiest transfer ever, but doable. Checked baggage might get in the way and swing it to not so doable but maybe not. LY and AA have an interline agreement so you might be able to get it tagged through which would save you needing to schlep it during the transfer to the AA departure terminal (though also increase the chance of it not making the connection).

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The wild card will be TSA security. You will arrive in the International terminal and exit through security and then go to the AA terminal where you will need to go through all the security again. What day of the week will you be going through LAX? Believe there is normally less congestion on the weekend. If it is during the week, you have all the business people leaving LAX in the morning to go to the east coast.

You mention an award ticket. Since El Al is an AA partner, I assume that it is all on one ticket. If it is, you should not have an issue. The 1 hr 55 is, I assume, a legal connection. If it is, and you miss the connection, AA will put you on the next flight that has F availability (not just award availability).

5. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses.

The ticket would be one ticket - an All Partner Airline Award (India/Middle East to North America) starting On El Al, arriving in LAX on a Tuesday morning, conecting to F on AA to HNL ... there is an F award available ar 8:30am but not on the other two later flights that day .. the next award is 8:30am the next day.

Will have luggage ... do not have Global Entry.

Since 1hr 30mins is the legal connection for intl to domestic ... I wanted to make sure that if I missed the connection the rebook would actually be on the next F availability (not necessarily F Award) ... just a little concerned that at that time of day all the upgrades for Plats & Golds will have cleared and it is a couple of days before the Labor day weekend.

I know from connecting in LAX intl to domestic that the Security line in the afternoon was LONG going into AA terminal !

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should be OK. The only issue will be IF F seats are available on the next flights out. As you are aware, you always run the risk of a missed connection due to the original flight being late etc. So this is nothing new.

Have a nice trip.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown into LAX several times at that hour and have been through everything, and then walked down to UA (T-7), with luggage, typically within an hour from walking off the plane @ TBIT. I dont' know if AA has a connecting baggage re-drop @ TBIT. In any case, it is a short walk to the right to AA T-4 (don't wait for the bus - the bus ride might be longer than the walk). So, it is probably doable if you are on time.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the trip isn't until the end of the summer, you might want to think about applying for Global Entry if you're located in the US. It's $100 for five years, you apply on line and normally are preapproved in less than a week. The hassle is to go to an airport with an office to do the interview within a month. It allows you to avoid all lines. In fact, I applied after an hour long wait for customs exit (and then being sent for ag secondary because of the country where my flight originated) at TBIT in LAX.

Now for me on international arrivals every place except MSP, it's find the kiosk, play with the machine for a minute or two until it spits out my Global Entry receipt/ticket, find the Global Entry exit sign, wait for luggage if checked, and then at most wait while one person is being processed for the customs exit. The time I save in even one trip is worth the $100 fee and not needing to worry about lines is priceless. Plus you feel like a VIP walking past everyone else and all of the officials are so nice to you.