Connecting time in BKK

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by chaotix, Jul 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have an award flight booked from Manila to Phuket, connecting through Bangkok. We have 1 hour and 30 minutes scheduled between flights in Bangkok. Is that going to be enough time to clear customs and catch the next flight? We booked the flight on Thai Airways using US Airways miles while they were still in the Star Alliance. Now that they're out, I don't know if we can make any changes. Who would we talk to if we miss the connection?

Our whole trip to Asia is full of tight connections, so I will likely have similar questions for future threads!

uggboy likes this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't clear customs in Thailand until you reach your final destination, assuming that your bags are checked through to Phuket. BKK is set up to do airside international/domestic connections, unlike US airports.

Thai Airways would rebook you should you miss your connection, but 90 minutes is fine for connecting.

uggboy and chaotix like this.
  3. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent!

Similar question I would guess you can also handle, if you don't mind.

On the way out to Manila, we're flying Cathay Pacific from Chicago, with a connection in Hong Kong. We only have 90 minutes to connect there as well. Is HKG is setup so that we don't have to clear customs/security in between flights?

uggboy likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there's a way to connect at Hong Kong that does not involve entering Hong Kong via immigration, collecting luggage, and rechecking/reclearing security. The USA is very different from most other nations in not allowing for airside international or domestic transfer, so you should not extrapolate your experiences in foreign travel to or from the US to other countries. Transfers at HKG are very efficient.

I misspoke, btw- you will be directed to immigration at BKK but will not collect your luggage for customs (and can still transfer airside without having to leave a terminal/recheck like you would at, say, LAX).

uggboy and chaotix like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question is not whether there's enough time to connect. The question is whether there's enough time for a full massage in the F lounge. (You are flying F, right?) Sadly, it looks tight. :(

eponymous_coward and chaotix like this.
  6. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear about HKG. That's what I assumed, but as you have guessed, my flying experience is almost all domestic US.

Do you still think 90 minutes is adequate to make the connection in BKK? We like to fly with just a carry-on, so no worries about checked luggage.

Oh, I wish. The flight currently has a plane with no F seating assigned. I'm hoping for a last minute equipment swap so that there are no F revenue tickets sold and 2 award seats available. I'd probably try and switch to a later flight out of HKG in that case.

uggboy and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries. The airport is rather sizeable, but 90 minutes should be plenty in BKK.

As consolation, if you're *A Gold or travelling in J you can at least enjoy the J lounge. Still quite nice. Fabulous by US lounge standards from what I've seen.

Enjoy the flights, and the lounges, and do post a TR.

chaotix and uggboy like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, when you get to HKG, follow the signs for the Transit Desk. You'll find it well before immigration. If you're tempted to take an escalator down, you've gone too far.

chaotix, uggboy and eponymous_coward like this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused- the massage being referred to by YULtide is (I believe) the one given in the TG spa at BKK. You're talking about HKG. What flight are you referring to? CX does not offer spa massages in a specialized spa lounge at HKG the same way TG does at BKK.

FWIW, TG does not sell an F cabin on domestic flights, so there will be no F award seats on BKK-HKT. You might be able to talk your way into an F seat if the plane has an F cabin if you hold a J award, but it will be a J service (and without any booze at all, I might add, just a small meal that's pretty "eh", nothing really better than what you'd get in a USA-based airline's domestic F cabin. They give you some cold tea/juices that are OK though.).

I also don't think BKK flies or sells F MNL-BKK, so I doubt you will have F on the international segment either.

No, this isn't how it works for a domestic connection. The TG domestic lounge at BKK is also booze-free and pretty "meh" (it's probably not worth going up and bulling your way past guards to international departures to go to a TG international J lounge for a 90 minute connection, when you'd just have to trek over to domestic departures anyways). I did think the indoor domestic lounge with lots of orchids and lots of natural light was nice for a sit, but the snack foods there are not much to write home about- mediocre tea sandwiches and dim sum.

Come to think of it, the food in the TG J international lounge in BKK isn't all that nice either; the F lounge is where you get to order off a menu and so on. I actually think the food in TG's HKG lounge might be better than what's for offer in BKK.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    chaotix, YULtide and uggboy like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah. I haven't seen the domestic J lounge in BKK; only the international. I presume OP will have a chance at that one on the way home?

TG lounge in HKG is definitely worth the visit, though in this case, as OP is travelling on CX, that lounge will be the better choice in HKG.

chaotix likes this.
  11. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying in J all the way, so no massages. :(

eponymous_coward is right, there wasn't an F option from MNL to BKK or for the domestic BKK to HKT. I checked the scheduled equipment and it doesn't look like there is even F seating available.

We're going back to Hong Kong for a couple of nights after Phuket, and TG has a direct flight, so the only lounge we will get to sample is at HKT.

Thanks for all of the answers and advice guys!