Connecting in Newark

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Yavamos, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering a connecting flight through Newark (rather than our usual nonstop TATL's from IAD) and would like to know if a 55 minute connect time is adequate. We'd arrive at 4:30 pm on a Sunday , depart at 5:25 to FCO. I've recently heard that there are frequent delays in Newark so am wondering if we should attempt this (price is better than nonstop from IAD)

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is your flight from IAD mainline or express? If it's express, I would say no. If it's mainline, it will probably work unless there are major delays.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    Express - a tiny Commutair Bombardier Q200 - guess that's a no!

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's risky but if IAD-EWR delays then they can put you on the IAD-FCO nonstop. Might as well book the cheaper ticket and hope for the best knowing you have a fallback plan. Of course, if IAD-FCO is sold out that day then you took a risk and lost and would wind up standby on that flight. But IAD offers plenty of rebooking options as well through FRA, MUC, VIE, ZRH and elsewhere.

Book the cheaper one and be done.

-RM

IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flights from DC and the Northeast frequently are delayed or canceled due to ATC and could cause a misconnect to the FCO flight irrespective of whether they are express or mainline.

ETA - could always get on an earlier IAD-EWR flight on the day of departure if the original flight looks like it's going to be late.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Q200 should arrive in terminal C so the connection once you get there will be pretty easy. The key is actually getting there. Saturdays are better as volumes are a bit lower meaning the ATC delays don't have quite the same impact, but they still can screw you. If the price difference is that significant I'd buy it then try to SDC to either an earlier flight IAD-EWR if things start to look ugly or try to SDC to the non-stop if it seems to have seats on day of travel.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about 4:30 on a Sunday now or 4:30 on a Sunday in January, when EWR could potentially be a mess and buried in snow? :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The man has a point!

Sunshine7 likes this.
  9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of this assumes delays are known in a timeframe useful to rebook to another option, and that seats for reprotection are actually available. Neither can be taken for granted.

10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say no. I haven't flown IAD-EWR and tried to connect but not a single one of my DCC-EWR-connection flights has been close to being on time. First few times out of DCA I was screwed [you don't want to spend a night at the Newark Ramada - yuck!]. Now I leave a huge window of time or I take the train [once]. I'd play it safe and fly out of IAD assuming the $$$ isn't too huge

11. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say book the IAD-EWR-XXX ticket to save money...then show up to IAD very early (think 8:00AM-ish), ask the agent to put you on the next flight to EWR (they know how bad the delays can get and should be happy to do it to avoid rebooking you later), and enjoy your long layover in the club.

12. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    Viguera, we're looking at end of September...
    Thanks all for the helpful advice!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would book the connecting flight. Watch for schedule changes, and that may give you an opportunity to rebook you on the direct for no additional charge.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And get a middle seat somewhere towards the back if that's all that is left over? ;)

If I had to make the decision, it would really depend on

- how much that connection would save over other alternatives
    - how had it would be if I did NOT make it to Rome as scheduled.
    - what my seat options are...

15. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWR is an airport I personally would avoid at all cost with a short connection period. My first (and if I have anything to do with it only) connecting experience in EWR involved going from Terminal C to Terminal A via a very slow shuttle bus to run to the other side of A just in time to be among the last four boarding. The GA gave away my First upgrade, and gave away the First seats two pax paid full price for because she "didn't think we were going to make the oversold connections." NEVER AGAIN.

The Boat likes this.
  16. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise, I was transiting between A and C--naturally, my EWR-LAX was out of the last pier in C so when I had arrived, my upgrade too was gone--released to someone else on the upgrade list and they were going to give me a non-E+ seat in 36E.

macbookguy likes this.
  17. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Boat -- I hate to "like" your story but I'm glad I'm not alone!!

18. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would strongly urge you to allow a minimum of two hours for a connection at EWR, as a slight delay in take off could result in you missing your international flight. Sometimes it may even be better to have a three hour layover for making an international connection, as you never know what might occur. For a return going through customs, a person with Global Entry should be able to make a connection in 80-90 minutes, but the best thing to do is to always allow for enough time, so 2 hours mimimum is best.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.