Connecting in MUC

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by mdtravel, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pardon if this is not the right forum; please advise and close the thread and I'll move it.

I've always flown from the US to my European destination, or vice versa. I'm looking at a trip that would have me connect in MUC before flying on to BRU and then do the same on the return.

What passport / immigration routine will I follow in MUC? BRU?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    What you are doing is a "non-schengen to schengen" connection meaning arriving from a country that isn't part of the Schengen agreement (US) and entering a Schengen one (Germany) enroute to another Schengen country (Belgium).

This means that you will clear immigration in Germany, and when you arrive in Brussels it will be as though you had gotten off of a domestic flight (no passport control).

In another thread you mentioned flying Lufthansa first class, so just go to the Lufthansa First Class lounge. Others will know these tendencies better than I, but for instance if you're flying a Lufthansa CItyline flight on to Brussels perhaps you will depart from a non-gate position so instead of taking the bus you will handle formalities in the lounge and be driven across the tarmac to the plane.

Again, others will know this better than I as far as which flights depart from gate vs non-gate position in Munich. A pure guess that a Brussels flight stands a good chance of not having a gate, which as an arriving first class Lufthansa passenger you would actually be happy about.

In Frankfurt, at the FIrst Class Terminal, everyone gets driven to the plane. In Munich at the First Class Lounge it's only those departing from a bus gate.

milchap likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But customs is still in Brussels, I believe (which is weird), and you won't get your checked bags until you arrive in BRU.

Indeed, and the LH F lounge is before immigrations (or I really should say, has its own little immigration counter in the lounge). So do not go to the immigration line upon arrival, but rather straight to the lounge (in the sterile area). The LH agent receiving you there will tell you what to do when you show them your next BP or itin. Make sure to hold on to your LH F BP to show them for admittance to the lounge.

Yes. They'll tell you at what time you have to go to the lounge limousine desk for the ride. I went a bit early on my last trip (first time through MUC F lounge actually) since I wasn't sure about the procedures and we ended up getting a bit early to the little regional jet for the connecting flight. The driver then offered to show me around the airport and off we went on a little sightseeing trip of MUC :D

Looking at the LH flight information for today (MUC-BRU), it seems they use a mix of A319 and regional jets on that route.

On the return upon arrival in MUC you will once again go to the LH F lounge. When you arrive, they'll likely ask for your passport and then tell you to enjoy your time in the lounge. When it's time to go to the gate for the departure to the US, you go to the immigration window I mentioned earlier and they'll have your passport and process you for outbound immigration.

milchap likes this.
  4. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's nothing weird. There are customs for hand luggage in MUC but most people don't even notice them. Customs for checked bags at the final destination where you get them back.
    The trick is not to follow the signs for the departure gate on Level G, but to stay on Level H as if you are connecting to a flight departing from a H gate.

mdtravel likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's weird (or maybe should have called it "different") from a US perspective where you clear customs and immigration at the port of entry. I consider it weird because it implies that every domestic passenger (or in the case of the OP a Schengen pax) has to pass through customs. I did not mean to imply that it was a special case for MUC only.

As for hand luggage customs screening, I have indeed not seen that when I connect in MUC (or FRA). Where are they hiding?

mdtravel likes this.
  6. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    No they don't. There are usually 3 channels - green (nothing to declare), red (goods to declare), blue (arrivals from the EU). The first two are for pax originating in non-EU countries. If you arrive from the US via Germany, you still originated from outside the EU. They can tell the difference by the tags attached to their checked luggage. Note also the difference between Schengen/non-Schengen and EU/non-EU.
    You don't see them because they are hiding! :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I flew into a little regional airport that didn't have a blue channel. The customs guy did ask me where I was coming from.

I'll keep my eyes peeled next time. Or maybe I should just make myself look suspicious ands have them jump out from behind a planter or the bar in the LH F lounge (that bar tender did look suspicious!) :)

8. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked bags originating within the EU have tags with green edges. Customs can tell who have arrived from outside the EU by looking at bag tags. If you only have carry-on luggage this method doesn't work.

If you manage to look too suspicious you may not make it to the First Class Lounge! :p

Counsellor likes this.