Connecting in EU on different itinerary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by USAJerry, Aug 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone.

Need some advice please. This Tuesday, 13 August, I'm flying IAD to JFK to AMS to OSL. Then on a seperate itinerary, I'm flying OSL to AMS (yes, I know I will have passed through AMS earlier in the day and it was just cheaper to book going to Scandanavia instead of going direct to AMS).

I'm not checking bags.

So I was wondering, what do I do when I arrive in OSL since I'm on a seperate itinerary? There's about a 2:55 gap between when I arrive in OSL and when I depart back to AMS. Do I need to go through customs and then past the incoming security checkpoint, and then come back through security to check in? Or can I proceed to the gate since I've already connected through an EU country earlier in the day?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have no checked bags then why not just get off the plane in AMS the first time? No need to go to OSL and back if you don't want to unless there is more after the second AMS stop on the same OSL-AMS ticket.

3. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked multiple round trips on this leg (IAD to OSL, OSL to AMS, AMS to IBZ). For simplicity reasons (and for this conversation as well), the AMS to IBZ r/t is irrelevant.

If I get off the plane in AMS before connecting to OSL to finish off the first leg of my journey, doesn't that not void my return trip (OSL to IAD on the 25th), and void the second half of my AMS to OSL ticket as well?

Again, I pieced these different itineraries together because it was cheaper and I was heading to different places.

So back to my original question, do I have to go through customs in OSL and leave the arrival area to then come back through security to head to my gate in OSL to then come back to AMS? Or since I've already connected in a Schengen country that maybe I can just go directly to my gate for my flight to AMS.