Connecting from Canada -----> USA at YYZ : an enhancement

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Feb 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following was the procedure........

Prodeed to F gates and claim luggage off the belt then USA customs and immigration,'

Two weeks ago, I was connecting in YYZ to FLL....

An agent helped me scan my stuff at entrance to F gate and my name appeared on a screen. I then was told my checked luggge would be directed to my final destination and no need to handle it in YYZ....;and to proceed to USA immigration and customs.

And it worked.

I was told this was implemented the day I travelled.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    They've had this at YVR for awhile (at least a year) and it works quite well. They can (and will) pull your bags from the queue if US Customs wants to inspect them.

milchap likes this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The difference is that a photo of your bag appears on a screen in YVR while the YYZ screen has your name.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, similar idea - they have a way of knowing which bags are your bags. I think it will be a huge timesaver.

My last US-bound connection at YYZ was last May, YFC-YYZ-DCA - I spent quite a lot of time waiting for my bag to turn up before I could go through Customs. I could have spent another half hour in the lounge with this new system, which would have worked for me.

guinnessxyz and milchap like this.
  5. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    great- with the boarding gong show vis a vis carryon's and a nice AMEX delayed baggage coverage, this may just mean I never drag a bag through the airport again!

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew through YYZ to MCO last week too. Only carry on, but noticed that the old luggage collection area was roped off and new computer terminals where there. I was hoping this was why, one less hassle if I have bags.

milchap likes this.