Connecting flight? Be careful how you search to get best fares!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news for folks expecting that the airline will show you the best fare when you search for a city pair which requires a connecting flight. American is playing fast and loose with some segment logic in certain markets, forcing a higher fare class on the exact same flights if you search A-C (and routing you via B) but allowing a lower fare if you search A-B+B-C.

LGA-AUS:
    [​IMG]

LGA-DFW+DFW-AUS:
    [​IMG]

Note that this is NOT an end-on-end fare issue. In both cases it is a single fare component.

Oh, and aa.com generally won't sell you the cheaper fare, though it will find it on the search results if you force multi-city. Orbitz has been pretty reliable in allowing the booking to go through in my testing.

Yes, it is married segment logic, but they're implementing it badly and you may be paying more than you need to for a flight...a lot more based on some of the searches I've done.

William JLP, mtlfire and MX like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Post about Orbitz having bugs in married segment pricing (that existed for a long while) doesn't seem any more exciting than AMEX starting to actually enforce their MR rules personally.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    amazing - just priced GCM-sfo - on aa.com it is almost $400, pricing on ita is 324! I'll see if I can ticket it.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I disagree, but I'm sure that's not surprising to you. When the airlines cost regular passengers real money in higher fares I think that's quite different.

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure - however married segments are an established and common industry practice. There are numerous ways by which airlines cost regular passengers real money by various means of market segmentation. Whether we like it or consider it fair isn't that relevant.

The primary news here is that Orbitz (and likely some other OTAs) have bugs, enabling you to get around the correct married-segment driven pricing.

MX likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not just Orbitz, and ITA is pricing them out, too. Either the airlines are malicious or incompetent. But they're screwing passengers out of real money. That sucks.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So AA says that the fare code that ita is showing is the same one they are pricing at 399??? Any help?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to buy it on AA? That's unlikely to work. Use multi-city on Orbitz as a first option.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried giving an AA agent the codes listed on ita - no go. Using multi-city on Orbitz is higher than booking on aa.com? I guess the fare on ita is a mistake as the aa agent suggested?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are times where ITA has cached inventory issues on AA flights. If you want to share the details (either here or in PM) I'm happy to look more closely. Otherwise not much I can do to help.

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at gcm-mia-sfo (sept 8ish). Ita came up with a fare of 329 by doing multi-city, aa.com and also agent at aa 399, orbitz 409. AA agent said it was the exact same booking code I was looking at on ita (read the code to him) at that point I gave up. If it's not too much trouble it would be interesting to know why the discrepancy.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't see the lower fare on ITA. Are you forcing USD rather than the default of Cayman dollars which ITA will use for GCM-originating trips?

13. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sample one way fares on american-

SAT-DFW-YVR $169 (I just booked this one)
    DFW-YVR $914 same day same times

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but that's not what I'm talking about in the original post. ;)

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, the search was a few days ago and today ITA quotes 366 kyd and aa 295 usd???
    I didn't realize that ita was quoting in Cayman dollars until you pointed it out - thanks