Connecting at CDG

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lichenlt, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have an upcoming trip to Europe and will be connecting through CDG on my way back from Athens. My Delta award flight recently changed schedules and made my connection time at CDG merely 1hr 10 minutes. I checked expertflyer.com and did not find alternative flights that fit my schedule. I was wondering if I can make the connecting flight with such a short window. if not, how should I proceed, call delta and see if they can put me on a later flight? any advice would be highly appreciated.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you are flying AF from Athens and then taking DL back to the US, the Athens flights arrive at Terminal 2D and Delta flights typically fly out of Terminal 2E.

I think that will be very tight and depending on the conditions (late arriving flight from Athens, remote stand, etc.) on your day of travel you may or may not make the connection.

uggboy, jbcarioca, lichenlt and 2 others like this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm flying AF ATH-CDG-ATL. Would they be in the same Terminal? and do I need to go through immigration or security check points in this case? Thanks.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, jbcarioca and lichenlt like this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. This is very instructive.

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will probably arrive at 2D and leave from 2E. I have made connections 2D to 2E many times with an hour and a half between AF flights and never missed one. However, if the arriving flight is delayed or parks at a stand you'll may miss it. The directions in the AF web route map are well described and easy to do, but you do need to go through security.

As long as you are Premium you should find it fairly painless, but if you are not Premium I would change to a later outbound or earlier inbound if possible.

uggboy likes this.
  7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    what do you mean by Premium? Biz and First class? They have a separate lane at the check points for Biz and First class passengers, right?

I'm in Business class on AF.

uggboy likes this.
  8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not seen many priority lines for business/first at this terminal, particularly incoming, but it's been a while since I have been there. This terminal is huge and occasionally one of the sections collapses, although fortunately not lately. I think this is tight if you don't know your way around. And what happens if your inbound flight is late?

lichenlt likes this.
  9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    As jbcarioca mentioned, you would be flying into 2D if you are coming from Athens.

You will have to go through passport control since you are leaving the EU, but they do have lines for Biz which can sometimes be shorter. You'll also go through security, but again there will be lines for Biz which in my experience were shorter, not to mention that security is pretty efficient unlike the state-side TSA.

uggboy and lichenlt like this.
  10. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see. What would happen if I miss the connecting flight? would they put me on another flight? I used skymiles on this award. Thanks.

iolaire and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    They probably will try to rebook you. Whether it is another direct flight (CDG-ATL) will depend on if there are other flights after you, if they are not full, etc.

But if it were me, I'd take the conservative route and try to have a longer connection time. Worst case is you can hang out at the Air France lounge if your flight from Athens gets in early.