Connecting @ AMS

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Rejuvenated, Sep 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be transiting @ AMS on my way from HKG to CPH this week. Will be arriving via CX F and then connecting to SK Y with a 4 hour transit time in between. CX arrives at Pier G while SK will depart from C which is one of the Schengen Piers. CX does have interline agreements with SK so even though I'm traveling on separate tix, my bags should have no problems being tagged all the way to CPH. I'm aware there will be the Schengen passport control and security I will need to pass through.

How far of a hike is it from G to C? Being a *G member (AE Super Elite), will I be able to use the priority line at the passport control? Also which *A lounge would be my best bet to relax prior to my onward sector?

It's been a long time since I last transited at this airport and my last visit in 2009 was an O/D departure without any same day transits involved.

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forever and a day. The hike from G into the main terminal seems like a death march. Crossing the whole airport even more so.

I don't recall any expedited passport control, though I might have just missed it. I usually see very sane queues there.

And the only lounges I recall are the two contracted ones, neither of which were noteworthy.

It's a very functional airport, but there aren't many luxuries.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMS is a great airport. While it is a hike from G to C, there are numerous moving walkways. There are also many shops along the way.

Passport control - there's a priority lane to the left side if the passport desks, but I'm not sure if it's for all carriers' pax. As a SkyTeam FFer, I don't have to worry.

Lounges - since you have a long layover, you could see what your options are, if any, on the non-Schengen side as well.

Have a good trip!

:$

Rejuvenated likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add some more perspective, UA's arrival video for AMS warns that walking to your connecting gate may take a minimum of 25 minutes.

There is some cool stuff in AMS -- there's a Rijksmuseum outpost, an in-terminal hotel, and nearly a full shopping mall outside passport control. But it's not a good lounge city.

Rejuvenated likes this.