Confusion re ShareAAmiles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are supposed to be able to share 100K miles per year. However the order page has a drop down menu that only goes to 25K I think. Can we just place four orders one after other, or how does the total 100K work?

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can. They just want to ding you for $30 per transaction. There are reports that the 4th transaction gets blocked for suspected fraud automatically so you may have to call to clear up the last transfer. YMMV.

3. dayswim

dayswim Active Member

Status Points:
    It also shows in the Q and A page that the miles bought and shared do not count towards gold (lifetime gold) or plt
    This could be a problem to the people who bought miles on the 30% promo to use to get to lifetime status before the change

4. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's the standard disclaimer that bonus miles are not elite qualifying (for the current year). They DO count toward lifetime status, at least until they officially announce the changes.

5. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    noob question here ... i bought 40k miles using the promo. i know that i cannot buy anymore, nor can anyone gift me those miles, but can a relative then share 100k miles with me? and those miles will count towards lifetime status?

6. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    All miles that hit your account currently count toward lifetime status. I say currently because there is potential for the lifetime status program to change very soon (see the ongoing consolidated thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/possible-changes-to-aas-lifetime-status.9223/)

As to your first question, I'm not familiar enough with the shAAremiles program to know the limitations imposed.