Confusion on the equipment for my flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gobluetwo, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight tomorrow morning and I'm getting different information from different sources on the equipment. My reservations says it's an E170 and shows the correct seat map. When I checked in, it said the aircraft was an E145, with the E170 seat map. United cargo says it's a 737 (???). Strange, because it's operated by United Express and because of the whole no legacy UA 737 thing.

Have other people been noticing this, too? For now, I'm going on the assumption that it is, in fact, the E170 (and I scored 3F, no upgrade as of yet). Just seems really odd.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it's been a mess lately...UA doesn't fly 737s any more by the way that would be the CO subsidiary...

What's the flight number?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is one of the franken-flights (UAX operated but really a CO Ex route to a CO hub) then that is likely where the confusion is coming from. Almost certainly an E70 and you'll need to actually check in with CO, not UA.

4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA3478 ORD-PIT tomorrow morning. All 3 sources still show differences. Should be UAX, not CO Ex.

EDIT: For the record, it was an E70 and I scored 3F. Ended up #14 out of 36 on the waitlist for an upgrade. Pretty elite-heavy flight.

5. EvanK

EvanK Active Member

Status Points:
    I was on one of these this past week (STL-EWR). Apparently these particular E170 flights cannot carry a CO flight number on them because of the CO pilots contract (they're too big planes). So even though they are operated out of the CO system ("operated by CO as far as the res system is concerned), they are actually operated by a UEx contract.

Just a bizarre-ness of the merger integration.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    or on the cheapness of $misek's Penny Pound Foolishness thinking...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Indeed, operating the plane that matches the route demand is a foolish plan.