Confusion about Chase 5x Rewards $1500 limit

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by lusfort, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, A little confused here.

For the bonus category of spend,

Must all expenditure be completed within the first 1,500 of spend each month?

or Chase will auto sort through my purchases and tease out those qualifying transactions to make up the 1,500.

Thanks for your help!

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, if you are talking about the quarterly Freedom 5%/5x benefits then it is $1,500 per quarter and all bonus categories are combined into that $1,500 limit. You can do the $1,500 (or less) at any time during the quarter and it should be counted. For example, spend $500 at Best Buy in November, $200 at Kohls in November, and $800 on airline tickets in December mixed in with all your other spending, and it should all count at 5x if you registered for the quarterly bonus.

Hope that helps!

lusfort and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    $1,500 per qtr not monthly. And they'll keep of track of what you spend where you spend. Though sometimes when transactions post near your statement cut off; the points will not post that month but will appear on next month's statement.

miles and smiles and lusfort like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expense categories are provided by merchants, when they submit the charges for payment. You can make your charges in any sequence you like. The limit will only apply to the bonus categories.

lusfort likes this.
  5. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick response

Alright I think I didn't make myself clear enough.

Here is an example.

For the promotions this quarter

1st Oct: 500 in Banana Republic ( non bonus )

15 Oct: 500 in Gap ( non bonus category)

20 Oct: 500 in Prada ( non bonus category)

Total Spend so far $1,500

20 Oct: 500 in United Airlines for ticket ( bonus cat)

So will the transaction on 20th Oct qualify for the bonus cat? since i've already made 1,500 in purchases prior?

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, no worries about what order you make the spending. Chase will track the first $1500 in the bonus categories.

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that was your statement you would get 1500UR + 2500UR (Airline). You still have $1000 to spend in the bonus categories for the next 2 months. Once you go over the $1500, all spending gets reset to 1UR/$

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all! I've been foolishly curbing my spend on this card for the last 4 months cause i thought any transaction would bring me over the limit. How silly..

edekba likes this.