Confused on airline policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Aditya Vyas, Jul 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since i have been criss crossing within asia after crossing the pacific i travelled 3 different star alliance airline. It seems they are ver inconsistent in following policy

- use of phones in flight mode
    Ana is very strict and want you to turn of the phone. In their booklet there is fine associated with it. Asiana/singapore didnt mind phone in flight mode

- next is turning on entertainment during the landing process or taking away headsets? Why does that matter. Singapore sfo-icn flight wants to take headsets away and turn of the system. Asiana turns of entertainment system

Anyone have an idea?

Writing from ana lounge in nrt.
    Regards

uggboy likes this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there will never be any "consistency" in a single airline (depends on crew), much less across an airline alliance.

My advise, do as you are told or run the risk to be labelled as an uncooperative passenger and be met by the police when the plane lands.

It may sound like you are powerless... well, in a way, when you are aboard an aircraft, the crew's instruction is the "law" within reasons. Inconsistency is no grounds for a passenger to challenge them...

NYCUA1K, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are looking for consistency where there is no reason to expect any. There are international civil aviation rules, within which there are rules developed by each country for its domestic civil aviation, and airlines may have their own rules top on of those, or may choose to implement any of the rules slightly differently but within the allowed parameters...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks i always comply with crew instructions even when they are ridiculous just trying to find logic for the behaviors considering airline like singapore have great( very extensive) entertainment system. Also regarding phones since FAA allowed carriers to have phone on flight mode i would assume ( maybe wrongly) rest or world to follow.

5. howtofreetravel

howtofreetravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Some airlines mind and some don't but i prefer the ones that don't really care (aeroflot , delta (sometimes) , alitalia)

Aditya Vyas likes this.