Confused by (Companion) Upgrade Process

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chrislacey, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hello everyone! I'm lost and I'm hoping someone can help me better understand the companion upgrade process. So far, I've never had this happen...but I am usually the only traveler.

So I have flights ALB-IAD-SAN tomorrow and SAN-EWR-ALB Friday night (redeye) + early morning Saturday cnx to ALB. When I checked in, I received a message that a second reservation may be created for my companion. OK fine. After check-in (mid-morning), we were both on the same reservation still. Fine.

Tonight...I login to my reservations and see two reservations (one with my co-worker on it and a creation date of a few days ago - when the reservation was made...and a new one with a creation date of today with my name). When I look at the reservation, I see that my co-worker (no status) was upgraded on the SAN-EWR redeye, but my reservation shows me with my original Y seat assignment. The flight still currently shows R9 (as of last check). Do premier companions get upgraded prior to the actual premier? And if so, why wouldn't we both be upgraded since R>0? (My apologies for not fully understanding the "new" upgrade system)

On an entirely different note, since we are now on separate PNRs (not sure when the upgrade cleared as I didn't receive notification....but it had to be after 1:30pm today)...the IAD-SAN flight shows R1 (and I'm #1 on the mobile site for the upgrade)...are they holding that until the last minute?

...I'm sure it has to do with my familiarity with the PMUA system, but can someone PLEASE explain this to me? I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks so much!
    Chris

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An update...I just waited on hold (16 minutes) to get to a "1P" agent who had to call the support desk (for 12 minutes) ... who supposedly "talked them into" (what a phrase) putting me in F since I should have been upgraded before the non-status member. He was very nice, but definitely not the 1K desk (how I miss them now as a 1P!)

Anyways...so I have the F seat (with lots of R still available) on the redeye home. I inquired as to why the IAD-SAN flight has been saying F1, A1, R1, RN1 and why I've been #1 (now on a separate record) and haven't been upgraded since I thought the R1 would signify the ability to snag that seat with UDU. He told me that since it was F1, there was one revenue seat available for sale, and that it wasn't being made available for upgrades. OK, fine. But why would it say R1 and not F1, A1, R0? OK keep the RN1 for the B fare (which isn't much more than my Q fare), but show R0 if there really aren't any true UDU seats available. Or the agent was dead wrong. (I wouldn't be surprised).

Anyone?

theBOAT likes this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is how the new United works when it comes to their CPUs. Does not matter if you are in your upgrade window (1K @ 96 hours, Plat @ 72 hours, etc.) and R/RN is showing positive inventory. Upgrades are cleared at the discretion of the airline.

But if your upgrade hasn't clear within your window and you do see positive R/RN space, feel free to pull up the seat map and click on a first class seat. United will be happy to sell you an upgrade for a seat that you thought you would be eligible for a complimentary upgrade for.

tommy777 and redwoman like this.
  4. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we know by now that elites aren't getting CPUs just because there is RN space. A new one for me in the OPs post was the fact that his non-status companion was upgraded and he wasn't. Has anyone else encountered that?

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I read somewhere that when you have a companion and they split off the PNR, the one that is listed as #1 on the original PNR gets the upgrade. It is ironic that they don't pick the status passenger versus their order on the PNR.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your responses! I was listed as the first passenger on the original reservation...yet I was the one that was spun-off and the no-status passenger cleared first. Luckily...I did clear both IAD-SAN (onboard now) and SAN-EWR tomorrow :) I just hope this all gets ironed out quickly!

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably some other issue then. Glad you got your discretionary upgrades though :)

Sean Colahan likes this.