Confused about Hyatt Brands

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ChrisUNC, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I just checked in to my first Hyatt ever--the Hyatt Regency Cincinnati. Ive found myself quite surprised with the quality of the hotel (not in a good way). The room smells like it used to be a smoking room, there are stains all over the carpet (afraid to take my shoes off), the few electrical outlets I could find near the desk don't work, the cleanliness of the bathroom is questionable, and the room looks dated (e.g. a 19" tube TV with locking key mount).

Where does Regency fall among the various Hyatt branded hotels? Is my experience here typical of most other Hyatt Regency properties?

marcwint55 and jetsetboy like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lower end of the full service properties (i.e., below Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt).

What you describe sounds atypical to me, but I have never been at that particular property. I'd have asked for a new room if it smelled like smoke and the electrical outlets don't work.

Scottrick and jetsetboy like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it sounds worse than normal, note that Hyatt Regency properties are generally three-star affairs.

If you have the energy, ask for another room. Invite the manager up to smell and see the stains. More often then not, they'll take care of you.

4. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Internationally, Regency properties are usually 5*. However, I agree with your second statement regardless of how many stars a hotel has, even motels should be clean.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regency seems to have the greatest variability among Hyatt's brands. Some are great, but many are quite dated and worn. Generally Grand and Park Hyatts are up to date and pretty consistent. Hyatt Places are all pretty much the same - definitely in a different category, however, than the full service properties.

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some grands are/were in dire need of renovations, in my opinion. For instance, the GH SFO has some of the most tired rooms among other Grand Hyatts until recently when they invested millions in dollars to refurb. GH New York is another example.

7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found many regencies to be just as nice as Grands..or nicer in some cases. Honestly, I think of Regency hotels as 4 star usually, especially abroad. Never stayed in a Hyatt property that was downright unsatisfactory.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly, a "lower end" Regency that was renovated this year is likely nicer in some ways than a Grand Hyatt that was last renovated ten years ago.

The Hyatt Places all seem to be fairly consistent in their quality and they are all relatively new(ly renovated). Never had dirty carpets or bathrooms. They have, of course, other downsides.

9. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    One example of a Regency that I found nicer than a Grand is in Denver. The Hyatt Regency at the Convention Center is really a nice, clean updated property with an excellent staff. The Grand Hyatt nearby is nice but a little dated, and I found the staff there to be less than welcoming.

kw335 likes this.
  10. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agreed. Gotta love the huge hot tub overlooking the mountains!

I've stayed at both, and happened to be assigned the non-renovated room at the GH. Very dated, but this was a couple of years ago. Haven't returned since.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The GH NY at Grand Central belongs in a category all its own. While the location is fantastic, the bones of that building are so old, it's in constant need of renovation, and the hotel is so large that service is indifferent.

The breakfast in its lounge is pretty good, and if you get a good room, it can be OK.

The Andaz across from the NYPL is pretty nice, but often the GH is more than $100 cheaper

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that normal Hyatts (no qualifier) are very consistent 3 to 3.5 star properties. Maybe they aren't full service, but for the same price, location, and basic amenities, Hyatt hotels tend to be better maintained and more comfortable to stay at than, say, a Hilton or Marriott.

Hyatt Regencies are theoretically better and should be in the 3.5 to 4.5 star range. However, they include everything from convention hotels to resorts. Some of them are so large it doesn't surprise me if they get worn on the edges. The Hyatt Regency Maui, Embarcadero, Lake Tahoe, and Vancouver are all very good IMO. The HR at Irvine and Orange County don't quite live up to the same standard. I would have branded them as regular Hyatts, but they have the attached meeting space, so I think that is a big part of the brand. The Hyatt Olive8 and Hyatt Arlington are very good, standard Hyatts that I think offer a better value than OC or Irvine.

13. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The HR Cincinnati is supposed to go through a major renovation soon. This property was my Mattress Run property (I was actually on their top 50 customer list). I would say that it is an ok property (for the market) but it's definitely on the lower end of HRs in the US. FWIW, the property went through a foreclosure about 2 years ago.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there very many "normal Hyatts" any more? There used to be quite a few, and they often were the tier BELOW Hyatt Regency. But many of them have simply left the system or been rebuilt and rebranded (e.g. the Hyatt SFO became the Hyatt Regency SFO when it was rebuilt.)

I figured the Hyatt Olive8 was named that way because it's not good enough to be a Park Hyatt, doesn't have the meeting space to be a Hyatt Regency, and there was already a Grand Hyatt in Seattle.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being at the corner of Olive and 8th may have played into the name, too. ;)

16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to be certain of a top notch hotel, it is probably best to avoid the Hyatt Regency. The Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt are usually much better. There are exceptions, but in America most of the Regency's are not that great.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure Olive and 8th contributed to the name, but it clearly isn't called a Park, Grand, Regency, Place, or House. So that leaves Andaz (it most certainly is not) or a regular Hyatt.

All I'm saying is that I am rarely disappointed by regular Hyatts. My suspicion is that with fewer guests and not having to worry about the meeting/banquet facilities they can focus on the guests. Even if they are not full service, they do what they do very well.

NYBanker likes this.
  18. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, this hotel hotel couldn't even live up to 'satisfactory' standards. I got really thirsty before bed, so decided to bite the bullet and drink the overpriced bottle of Aquafina they had in the room. When I went to open the bottle, I discovered it had already been opened. Not sure if a prior guest opened it and changed his/her mind, or drank it and refilled it from the tap to avoid the charge. Then, the remote control to the TV stopped working. I received a phone call from a colleague and needed to jot down a few notes--there was no pen in site. Come on!!! Even the Hampton Inn has a pen in the room. The next morning when I went to take a shower, there was no bath soap. I had to go down the hall and pull a bar of soap off of one of housekeeping's carts.

Things can go wrong at any hotel, and I never expect absolute perfection. But at this hotel, it just seemed like it was one thing after another. When I checked out and the desk agent asked me how my stay was, I very politely mentioned that it wasn't very good and fell short of expectations. She either didn't know how to respond to my feedback, didn't care what I had to say, or perhaps I was too friendly in how I responded and she didn't understand what I said. She continued with the check-out process same as if I said everything was great.

19. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the Denver hotels are a great example of this. The Regency Denver is nicer than the Grand...albeit the Regency at the Convention Center is also way newer.

20. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One new one is Capital Gate in Abu Dhabi - looks pretty nice. Will stay in August and report back.