Confused about CO Upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BurBunny, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll admit, I've been a bit of an ostrich during discussions up to now of UA flyers on CO-operated flights. I know that as a 1P (matched to CO) I would be viewed as a OP Gold for UDU, but with regard to any other factors since I wasn't going to be flying CO until fall at least, didn't really pay attention.

I know that we have Customer Day 1 this week, though it's still unclear what will happen then as opposed to mid-June.

Facing flights from SFO to NYC in August, I'm considering flying CO on the way out on the non-stop rather than the PS, as I'm hearing nice reports about these flights up front, and on the way out it won't be an issue to fly into EWR instead of JFK. But I'm really confused about upgrading with miles.

As a MP Gold, when am I entitled to upgrade? Only at the 24 hour window? Or at ticketing? If at ticketing, from what I'm reading it's limited fare classes? If at the 24-hour window, mightn't I have already been UDUd?

Or should I just not worry and hope that there's not a big fare sale before Wednesday when many questions will be answered by Uncle Jeff and his minions?

Appreciate some guidance, even if it's just to the correct thread(s) where I can read it for myself. Between all the threads around (here and TOBB) it's a bit daunting since I've not been keeping up all along.

Thanks for the help!

2. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently CD1 has been pushed out to June 15 now.

Not sure which reports you are referring to, but compared to p.s., I would suspect the only flights that might be better would be ones using the CO 752 which is only 2-3 out of the 9 or so flights they have each day. Otherwise you'll be on a 738/9 or 753 which have regular domestic F seats.

Also the SFO-EWR route is one of the hardest to upgrade, whereas the I've found the p.s. routes to have good availability and have got seats confirmed a few days out and often at time of booking.

BurBunny likes this.
  3. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm reading it may be a combination of dates, but obviously either remains to be seen at this point.

Yes, I was referring to the 752 flights. The reason I'm even considering them is to give me a few more options with regard to fare. Right now, the PS fares for my dates are unusually high, with no NC availability. While I do know the NC space tends to open up closer to date, I'd love to be able to upgrade one direction at least at booking.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the CO inventory is available for upgrade at booking I'd be surprised but I'd also jump on it and not look back.

You can put in for a mileage upgrade whenever you want (after purchasing the flight, of course) by moving the miles to CO and redeeming from there. If you actually want to be up front on that route I wouldn't leave it to the UDU/EUA process. That's quite likely to result in disappointment.

5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, on LAX/SFO-EWR if you really want to have a decent shot at an upgrade buy Y/B/M fares, otherwise expect to sit in the back and be ecstatic if you got the upgrade. Now you are talking about hoping for an upgrade on the 752, prepare to be disappointed since they are even more difficult.

CO tends to release inventory for B/M-Ups before releasing any "R" space...

BurBunny likes this.
  6. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! Extremely helpful. I feel like I'm re-learning the ropes all over again as they're a moving target right now.