Confirmed: United matching Diamond to 1K

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ryan Bingham, Aug 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I admit I read about this on the "other" message board and looked into it. Today, I received notice of my 1K upgrade from United MileagePlus. Granted, it's a 90-day challenge but for those of us who are Diamond or Platinum it shouldn't be an issue. The other interesting thing is I was already Preimier Executive under United due to my Conitnental OnePass Platinum Status.

I am at least on Diamond and nearly 2 Million Miler (1.8 million) to make good on his/her promise to screw it to Delta for the 72-hour award rule change...and more importantly, the condescending and b.s. infused communication regarding it.

Since the rule change I have talked with dozens of front-line workers for Delta. They are unanimous in their shock and disbelief of the rule change and how their airline handled it. These people, most of them, have spent their careers at Delta and have bought into the "Delta is different because Delta cares about its customers" theory. I encourage everyone who still is smarting from this move to keep communicating and...if you qualify, to take the United 1K offer and move your business.

Here is the letter from United:

Hello Mr. @#$(!#$!*,

Congratulations! You have been awarded 1K® status in the Mileage Plus® program! This will make your travel with us comfortable, simple and more rewarding than ever.

Your status will be effective for 90 days. Your 90 day time frame will be August 30, 2011 through November 28, 2011. To remain a 1K member through 2012, you will need to fly 35,000 paid, qualifying miles or 40 segments on qualifying flights* within that 90-day timeframe.

If you meet the above required paid flight miles or segment threshold, a 1K kit will be issued and mailed to you. Until you have a card, be sure to add your Mileage Plus number to your reservation in order to benefit from your elite status.

*Qualifying fights must be operated by United, United Express, Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express with a United or Continental flight number and credited to the member's Mileage Plus account. Flights operated by United, United Express, Continental, Continental Connection or Continental Express that have a partner’s codeshare flight number do not qualify. Flights operated by any other airline do not qualify.

1K status can be earned each year by flying 100,000 elite status miles (EQM) or 120 elite status segments (EQS) between January 1 and December 31 of each calendar year. You earn EQM and EQS on qualifying purchased flights on United and United Express and the Star Alliance members. For a current list of Star Alliance member airlines, please visit www.united.com/staralliance or www.staralliance.com.

For details about the Mileage Plus elite program, visit www.united.com/elite. Mileage Plus members are only allowed to earn elite status through the Elite Status Match program just one time.

I hope you will travel with us often and experience the exceptional service and style reserved for our elite members around the world. Thank you for choosing United, and enjoy your 1K membership.

*$&@#$ &^!@(&$
    Service Director
    MileagePlus

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad partner flights like LH don't count. I'm not sure I want to fly UA/CO TATL/TPAC for the challenge. Also, qualifying miles seem to be actual BIS miles not including any additional percentage for full fare coach, business class, or Y-UP/FC tickets.

3. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see your point but I don't fly internationally except in rare instances. Too each their own. Once you qualify though you get full accreditation in MP with the massive Star Alliance.

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it me or is 35k miles in 90 days kind of steep? I would think that 25k would be sufficient to show that you're a road warrior.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems OK to me. US is better than US, probably where I am already CP, and it will only take me two trips to get there, so it's worth it to me. I think. Does anybody know how long the deal will last? They'll only match DL Diamond, right? That will eliminate one alliance from my calculus, not a bad thing actually.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    35K isn't that bad. JFK-SIN will net you 23K right off the bat.

While I can fully understand the desire for pax to flee DL after their recent announcement I have trepidation with UA taking in refugees and then pushing through their rumored changes (with the justification that the influx of DL's former FFs will fill the vacuum of UA's FFs that depart). While the current batch of UA FF's aren't thrilled to say the least UA might feel that the influx from DL justifies gutting MP.

Can't you look into AA? :D

Kalboz likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three months (90 days) is one-fourth or 25% of the year and challenges normally require a bit more than the proportional mile/night/stay requirement for the given level for an entire year. So 25K would be exceedingly generous and 30-40K pretty normal. UA seems to have done the obvious thing by picking 35K, which is a bit more than a third of the normal 1K requirement and in fact 25% of 140K, so it's even more than a quarter of the DM "annual" requirements, but given rollover, MQMs from AmEx, DMQMs last year (four cities), and our 150% MQMs for M+ fares, 35K real miles in three months is obviously more than many DMs actually fly.

Kalboz and Nelumbo like this.
  8. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations, Mr. @#$(!#$!*

:D

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We're all full over here. ;):D

kwai and tommy777 like this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    As long as there's room for me ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  11. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew CO last week, will retroactive miles count?

12. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP hasn't heard of SMI/J then, has he?

kwai likes this.
  13. Kwai....how do you get 23k for JFK - SIN. I get 19k?

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could someone please have the thread title fixed: It's not a "match" to 1K that's being offered but rather a challenge in which IIRC one can use the 1K benefits on UA/CO during the challenge, but you don't get credentials until after successful completion to use for *Gold benefits with other *A partners.

15. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    UGH. These threads bug me but I know it's my fault. I didn't know that UA would status match my DL DM status so I have been earning it the hard way. I was at least matched to CO Plat last year so I had that status for this year which has given me a fantastic upgrade percentage on CO but a totally crap percentage on UA. Having UA 1K would help with UA upgrades but also give me more bonus miles.

At this point I'm already 80K into it and I have enough flights booked to get me to 1K by October. Would be nice to have the extra bonus miles for those flights.

I should have asked for a status match (or challenge) and been shot down instead of trying to do it the hard way.

-RM

16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA doesn't give O&D miles but rather segment by segment credit. JFK-SFO/LAX-(LAX/SFO)-NRT-SIN v.v will net you 23K.