Confirmed Standby on United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Dec 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that via the iPhone app/mobile.united.com, flights are showing up with seats in First and Economy as being available. However when I call the 1K desk, they say the flights are sold out.

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago as well (1K desk says flight is sold out, but iPhone app showed available seats) but I decided to head to the airport anyways and the lobby agent was able to get me seats.

Both instances, it is for a UA reservation on UA metal.

Anyone else experienced this type of discrepancy?

2. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe this difference might be because inventory management has given authorization to continue to oversell the flight up to a certain point. So 1k desk is right that the flight is sold out/oversold but they are willing to continue to sell seats because they count on mis-connects or no shows.

3. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, there must be H inventory to do same day confirmed changes.

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week my dad said the mobile app showed an upgrade as confirmed, while online and according to United check-in agents he was still wait listed. He never cleared. I wouldn't trust the app.

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be slightly pedantic, there is no such thing as "confirmed standby". There are confirmed same day changes, or there is standby.