Concepts Being Tested

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    MIlePoint will be testing some new ideas upon its launch, among them:

• ConcourseZ - "Balance" is a word you're going to see us using quite a bit here at MilePoint. Balancing the needs/desires of all types of members is one of our core objectives and is something we have taken into consideration in nearly every aspect of the design of MilePoint - including ConcourseZ. With ConcourseZ we have created a section where approved companies and individuals that offer commercial goods and/or services of value to frequent flyers can promote themselves, provide information, and answer member questions. Members who want to learn about and directly communicate with useful vendors will have a dedicated area to do so, and the rest of the forums will be kept clean of this type of promotional activity. I think this will be a win-win for both the services and our members.
    • Status - Post count has become, for better or worse, the de facto measurement of respect and value on most online communities. While contributing posts is certainly worthwhile and valuable to a community, it is clearly not the only or best way to measure a member's overall value to the community. On MilePoint we have developed a status system whereby post count is only one factor considered in determining a member's status level. You can learn more about the MilePoint status system here.
    • At Your Own Risk Member Exchange - MilePoint is a friendly place for frequent flyers to share information and, occasionally, travel-related items. It is not, however, intended to be a Moroccan Bazaar. Considering input from several sources, we will likely establish an exchange forum at some point so that members can gift and share their travel coupons and such. The forum, and any exchanges conducted in the forum, will not be moderated.
    • Local Point - I've watched how frequent flyers geographically gather. Whether locals in the Dallas area or Seattle, there forms a bond, much like becoming neighbors. While these locals might begin threads of a meetup, it's still not the same as being able to discuss varying topics online. Thus the concept of Local Point. As a sub-forum of the Community, it becomes a locals place to discuss things relevant to their lives in and out a geographic airport area. It could be about airport taxes or the the local election process—topics that different in the goal of our destination forums and as noted, much more broad than a single thread in the Community Center. Don't know if it will work, but being tested based upon years of observations.
    • Content RSS Feeds - Again something unique. In select destination forums as well as Newstand, we are feeding automatically relevant news feeds to compliment the conversations of our members and provide some additional value. This is just another test and we'll really only be able to gauge it's complimentary nature once there are a regular number of member posts within these test forums.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed this feature over in the Newsstand section and I have to say that I LOVE it. VERY cool new functionality.

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy,

How do I post on Meetups? I can't figure it out.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Good question. Currently we have that blocked for members who achieve a certain status on MilePoint, obviously because the more engaged member is the type that would start/sponsor a meetup. My guess is that you'll quickly achieve that level soon enough. Hope this helps.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this thread needs a bump -- Randy's notes are very relevant to many comments on this forum.

6. More MYST type clues :)

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Better than the Black Ops clues that others might leave! Thanks, it's been a long time and I consider myself honored you are here. Actually, you being here honors all our members, thanks.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Local Point is an outstanding idea. Travelers can benefit from local weather, delays and traffic discussion. People locally can post their observations as they happen. This is especially useful when the weather forecasters get it wrong.

9. Thanks Randy, but you give me too much credit.. Best of luck with this venture.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also liked Randy's intimation that Local Point could be more....political issues, etc. I would really like that, but hope we can control emotions within that space. I think it would be really cool to talk about whether a local tourism tax would help stimulate the economy or say that we heard Hearst Castle needs more docents, etc.

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Political discussions tend to get very ugly very fast. :(

BondAir007, Gargoyle and sobore like this.
  12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Not political, perhaps, but items of local interest..road bypasses or new airports or train service changing, or beach pollution, etc.

BondAir007 and tomh009 like this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those kinds of things I agree with 100%.

14. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can understand why the trading forum, if it is implemented, is "at your own risk" because quite frankly, I bet the CC on FT is a major PITA to moderate. But at the very least, it should be restricted to those who have been a member for at least 90 days, to reduce spam, and once in a while someone should pass through just to sweep out the spam that does sneak through.

Despite all the effort a forum like this takes, I bet it's exceptionally popular and would draw a fair number of good posters in who would add to other forums.

15. MileageAddict
    Original Member

MileageAddict Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy, have you ever visited Reddit.com? It's a huge successful community that allows members to vote postings up or down depending on their acceptance of the community. That way, the best information "floats" to the top and the least useful drops to the bottom.

rehoult likes this.
  16. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has any thought been given to archiving of old/out of date threads? Such as post related to specific mileage or hotel deals that are no longer available or specific promotions that have expired ? This could reduce required space and the time it takes to review the forums.

17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if fare has expired information can be useful. Eg if provider is being difficult in honouring terms, discussion on how to get the best out of it, arrange fare DOs, etc.

serfty likes this.
  18. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct, but at some point in time many of the old posts lose their usefulness and need a place to go and die.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As forums are displayed active threads first, those old threads will be on page 793 or whatever anyway -- there really is no need to explicitly move them to a different place. That would just make searching more complicated.

20. I enjoy the idea of a local area where we can share local issues that we have seen, such as terminals closed and what not...

21. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I have wondered what the discussion of politics has to do with the experience of flying and travelling.

tomh009 likes this.
  22. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well we could talk about the politics of the FAA reauth, or the politics of the TSA. [​IMG]

But in general, I agree with you.

23. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Local area is a great idea. Without a wide base however, the utility is decreased. Perhaps getting mayors (foursquare) of certain hubs might help to get it started.

24. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Mayors you say? Well, if you ask any number of members, I tested the ideas of Mayors with something i recently did on FlyerTalk so you can guess i like the idea of responsibility! Look for unique ways in which we build a community of members. If the idea of Local Point resonates to a small group of Beta members, then we have high hopes for a larger base of members as you say. Thanks, good stuff.

25. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.