Computer Lock for hotels

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sfo1, Nov 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am thinking about buying a computer lock for hotel rooms. I have a new laptop and would hate to have it stolen while I am out of my room. I know there are some hotels which supply in room safes for computers, but most of my travel will be outside the USA. Any suggestions good or bad about these locks?

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would certainly recommend it. I usually go for the combination ones as I don't have to worry about a key. Only issue I sometimes encounter is that it is not always easy to find something to lock it to. Bottom line though, it's not a perfect solution and if someone really wanted your computer they could probably easily take it but I do find it to be a comforting deterrent.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much what I have been told also, sometimes hard to find something to lock it to and yes, if the thief wants it that bad they will take it. But, anything that may slow them down in the process, IMO is worth it, as they never know when you might come walking through the door. Usually a hotel thief will take what can be taken quickly, in and out as fast as they can.

4. ahtrac777

ahtrac777 New Member

Status Points:
    That will be a good idea.

5. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a combination lock that I got at best buy for $13.00. Went down the street to Staples and the same lock was $30.00. Found a way to hook it to the desk.

Newscience likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with locks (especially those ubiquitous Kensington ones) is that it's always hard to find a suitable anchor point, unless the hotel has a dedicated computer desk. And even then, there are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to bypass them in seconds with very rudimentary tools, so it's really a false sense of security.

Most of the in-room safes are either too small or (again) easy to break into -- although some of the newer ones which are coded to your room key present more of a challenge.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used Kensington locks in the past, but in hotels I always struggle to find a suitable anker point. These days I tend to put my laptop away in my suitcase which has 2 locks. They could always take the entire suitcase, but just don't leave any indications (chargers laying around for example) that you have any electronics stored in your room.

Newscience likes this.