Compulsions or Obsessions of a Frequent Flyer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recognize and am willing to accept that I have certain obsessions surrounding travel and will share them in a minute but wondered if anyone else does as well. What do you do on a daily or almost daily basis that you would categorize as obsessive or compulsive?

Here's mine:
    • check the itinerary of every flight I have scheduled for accuracy & seat changes
    • check seat availability in first/business for predicting upgrades
    • checking for upgrades
    • searching for cheap award tickets to destinations I've wanted to visit
    • searching for cheap fare to destinations I've wanted to visit
    • reading TripAdvisor and Hotels for traveler reviews before booking a stay
    • reading FlyerTalk and now, as of yesterday, MilePoint
    I know...I have too much time on my hands :)

mynameismud and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading Milepoint.:D

FetePerfection likes this.
  3. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking point balances, even though I know most of them will not have changed.

jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  4. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the upgrade hasn't cleared, check the seat availability in Y to see if the exit row has opened up.

5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a good one...I do that about once a week.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And checking every 3 hours when you know you have new points coming in. :)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm near a computer at my upgrade window, I watch until I see the upgrade, refreshing the screen constantly as upgrades are being processed.

8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do this too! You know...we have a disease.

goodandclassy likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're much more hardcore then me. My only travel vice is checking my points balance and reservations about once a day. Even then, I only check my AA balance and don't really look at my UA balance unless I specifically think I might use the miles....

Welcome to MilePoint! :)

MSPeconomist and FetePerfection like this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like how the ad at the bottom of this forum is "Need more help with your OCD?" Gotta love targeted adverts!

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think once a day is excessive. When I don't have a trip approaching (in the next week or so), I can go even a few weeks without logging onto airline websites.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Of course it's excessive, but that's the point of the thread. ;)

mynameismud and viguera like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I don't think it's excessive depending on the circumstances. If you have a large incoming transfer (like that US Airways promo) then you check every few days at least until you know it's completed, especially if there's a deadline.

And if you're milking some program for miles like Netflix or some other renewable monthly service, you probably check often to make sure you cancel the subscription (that you didn't want in the first place) as soon as the bonus miles post.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do find myself checking more frequently when there is a bonus promotion involved. And when I have incoming miles. And when I have an upcoming trip.

At least this thread has made me more comfortable with my level of obsession!

FetePerfection likes this.
  15. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also check Milepoint dozens of times a day to see if my points balance has risen. That's like meta frequent flyer OCD.

16. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh gads, I'm thinking about what I haven't checked today just reading this thread!
    • If planning a trip, checking NC availability (even though I have an ExpertFlyer alert set) for my possible flights
    • Checking upgrade status at least once a day if I've requested early confirmed upgrade
    • If UDU, checking every couple hours to see if it's cleared in the window... and checking at every earlier window to see how many seats remain to be assigned to lowly 1P me
    • Seat assignments/itinerary every few days at least, more frequently the closer the flight
    • Aircraft assignment if flying 777
    • Mileage balance when credit card and flight deposits due
    • Increasing my time on MP/FT forums to see if there are any carrier changes about which I should be aware
    It's a sickness, to be sure! But, all that means I can relax for the actual travel experience. And that's... priceless

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award wallet is my daily fix...I update all accounts each day. Across all my travel and cards, I probably have 30+ transactions a month across my various loyalty programs...AW's green light/red light color scheme is very helpful to me.

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took me a while, but I am now highly confident in ExpertFlyer and can truly "set it and forget it!"

I flew this morning on a US flight that was sold out on Friday when I was trying to make a booking. No luck, so I set an EF alert for 1 y seat (economy only RJ flight)...got the email last night and switched to the flight that best fit my schedule. Called the carrier and the agent said, you're in luck, there's one seat. I didn't say it, but it wasn't luck, it was skill this time.

Of course, the only seat open was a window seat in the last row...which I took. When I got to my connecting airport (CLT), I asked if any other seats were open. The GA was clearly new (first day?), with some sort of supervisor standing nearby and the agent reading the gate scripts nervously on the PA. She said there weren't any seats open. I said thanks, and left the podium. On a lark, I pulled up EF on my ipad and indeed two seats much closer to the front were shown as open. I went back up (there was no line at the podium) and showed her the EF seat map. Her first response was, "wow, how do you get that?" but then quickly checked and behold, they were both available. She then said that she should have checked when I originally came up, and she offered me my choice of either seat.

She was clearly nervous...so I left her with some reassuring words. Everything was extremely cordial, and we shared a laugh at the end. Clearly pax with EF on iPads isn't the scenario that is covered in GA training school.

While i trust EF alerts, I quite like to follow a flights status at the airport using the EF tool....only a minor vice.

BurBunny and ExpertFlyer Voice like this.
  19. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but where's the fun in that? Not to mention the obsessive behavior? :D

I'm working to get to that point, as EF is such a great tool. Give me time, give me time... (she says hopefully).

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It frees my time to study airfares/upgrade/award availability on flights I might someday take....

jmrich1432 likes this.
  21. thetravelloop
    Original Member

thetravelloop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely obsessive too ...
    • refreshing gomiles once per day to see if points have posted
    • trolling forums for free points once a day
    • will actually stop and deposit cash into ATM to use debit card to when I go out to eat at mileage dining restaurant (almost always otherwise use cash in life)
    • when I have upcoming travel, I check seating upgrade availability and exit row once or twice a day
    I am glad I am not alone! LOL! I just love everything about it. Some people have cats ... we have the travel bug.

viguera likes this.
  22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that I've found a few decent places that participate around home/work, I'll go out of my way to go there for the miles.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  23. thetravelloop
    Original Member

thetravelloop Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's lucky. Lucky for me, the bar that we play our volleyball league at is part of the program, so I am able to get VIP status pretty quickly with small transactions when I switch programs for bonuses. ;)

viguera likes this.
  24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I admit I didn't pay much attention to the whole dining program bit until I joined here, but now I'm already VIP in 2 programs. There's a hibachi restaurant, a tapas bar and a couple of other places by the house, plus two delis and one or two decent restaurants near work, so it's easy as pie.

Another obsession I suppose, to go out of your way to dine at these places for the miles, and trying to steer "lunch meetings" towards those places... pay with your card and collect cash from everyone. Full of win. :)

25. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have actually found some really good places using miles dining programs. When I am working in a new city I usually look for places to try through those websites, it's worked out very well for me in the past. I have gotten some great meals (at places I never would have known to try) AND miles. Woo hoo!

viguera likes this.