Complimentary upgrade list for intl flts

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Morris, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I have much of a chance, but I checked in, and still don't show up on the list. When I called, they gave conflicting information: 1. that is means there are no seats available (false) 2. that for internation flights the upgrade list is "system generated" and no one can see it even her.

Is this accurate? I am Gold, don't think I have a chance, but would like to know that I am at least in line...for the domestic portion of the trip I can see I am in the list.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  2. iNevets

iNevets Active Member

Status Points:
    There are no "complimentary" upgrades for international flights. Upgrades for international flights need to be supported by a GPU or miles and cash. Of course there is the rare op-up, but that would be a last resort.

IDGflygirl and Sunshine7 like this.
  3. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, wish she had told me that......not sure it is worth 20,000 miles and $550 since it is a week trip to
    London, and we have E+ seats....

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not true. Though it is true the OP's transatlantic would need to be supported by a GPU or miles and cash, there are plenty of international itinerary itins that are CPU-eligible.

8MiHi, Sunshine7 and KenInEscazu like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not worth 20K RDMs + $550. You have E+ and the trip is "just" 6-7 hr, which is tolerable...

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before the merger, I got CPUs all the time between the USA and Central America/Northern South America. They became difficult to get after 3/3 - probably because there are now so many Premiers competing for them - so I just started buying BF tickets, but I have been on a couple of flights with seats open up front. Even a Silver could have received the bump on those (rare) occasions.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  7. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Maybe for 20k, but not for 20k and $550. And if you're trip over is poor you can upgrade with points, cash on the return trip. I always like BF/F on returns anyway as you can relax from your trip and be rested for reality to set in when you return.

Side note, but I had tea with my girlfriend at the Goring hotel during the Olympics and loved it. It was £42 iirc, but we upgraded to the bollinger tea that included champagne and strawberries before the tea, tower of carbs. Well worth it.

8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, We just went to London E+ (EWR-LHR) and were pleased with E+ on a 752 both ways. If you are lucky and get an empty seat it's almost like domestic first class without the fancier (?) meals.

Sunshine7 likes this.