Complimentary Miles from UA downgrade

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight from SEA to NRT was downgraded from a new config 777 to old config. Recieved some email from UA appologizing for the downgrade and offering me a one of three choices. 15000 miles, a $350.00 e-certificate or 20%off airfare. The one I would have selected would have been the $350.00 e certificate however the certificate only applies if you have a US credit card and US billing address. I purchase all my UA airfares from Canada in CAD. The other rules for the $350.00 is travel within the USA which would be no problem Not sure if a debit card would have worked and did not want to take that chance. I do have a US debit card with Chase and US billing address but don't know if that would have worked since it stated credit card. Has anyone ever used a debt card to pay for a e-certificate?

aptraveler and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as you have a U.S. billing address and form of payment, having a "credit card" or "debit card" isn't a big deal.

What UA is trying to communicate by this restriction is that if you have an electronic travel certificate, you'll only be able to use it to buy tickets from the united.com US site, not from any other regional site like unitedairlines.co.uk. This generally means that you need a U.S. billing address and form of payment, usually a debit or credit card. There are more esoteric options like Western Union money transfer or cash at an airport ticketing office, but they're quite obscure. (If you're buying a ticket whose value is totally covered by the cost of an e-cert and there is no residual balance, you won't be asked for a credit card at all!)

IDGflygirl, aptraveler and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does United.com handle Canadian addresses and billing? Wouldn't it route through United.com as opposed to .co.uk or .de or .anything? I'm curious if the voucher would work with a Canadian billing address anyway.

-RM

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $350 is certainly more functional than the 15,000 miles, although the miles would likely cost that much if purchased (often more, and sometimes less). I don't think that the debit card is a problem. I usually use my company debit card to pay for my tickets to help keep the accounting in order.

Tho logical thing would be to have your US debit card and US billing address saved in your united.com profile, then call to make sure that it is compatible. Logic, however, doesn't often play out recently. Sadly, I don't find the answers given by agents to be reliable, and it is certainly not consistent.

Do you have someone in the US to whom you could give the ecert and receive the cash? I recently had an ecert that ended up being issued to my father, and I used it to make a partial payment in my account for my travel. It was his final flight, as I moved him out of my home and into a nursing facility. The two bags that UA destroyed were both checked in under his name. We were traveling together, and Murphy's law performed perfectly. The three that made it safely were in my name. ::heavy sigh::

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You must book it through united.ca it is set up then to handle the Canadian billing address with the different provinces, if you try and use united.com when you come to the billing procedure they only offer the US states as a selection.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did charge a flight with my US debit card once, and come to think of it I believe it was for an e-certificate, I will have to go back and check, as the flight is coming up this November. I did go back and look at the payment for this up and coming flight and I did pay in USD and used my debit card to pay for the additional cost not covered by the certificate which was about $128.00, so I guess the next time I get the choice I will know what to do. When I got the email from UA for the choices this time, I read it after being up for 30 hours 18 of it flying, guess I should have not been so quick to reply. Lesson learned.