Complimentary lounge passes - need to be flying that airline?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Counsellor, Apr 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something posted in another thread aroused my curiosity.

With respect to the free lounge passes some credit cards provide (United's Chase card and US Air's Barclay card come to mind), must one show anything more than the pass and ID of some sort to access the lounge, or must you also be flying either on the airline whose lounge you're entering or at least on the alliance?

In other words, has anyone tried (for example) using the free United Club pass when one is flying on American that day? If so, what was the result?

I'm curious, because usually an airline lounge requires showing not only an elite card from the airline or at least the alliance, but also a same-day boarding pass on the airline or at least the alliance. In my experience, even if you're a member of the club/lounge (e.g., United Club member or AA Admiral Club member) they ask to see the boarding pass as well as the membership card (unless you're there for a meeting, as an exception). It would be very interesting if that rule did not apply to the complimentary passes issued by airline-branded credit cards.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It varies by program and by lounge location in my experience. I never have trouble using Delta passes when not flying Delta. Just get a Priority Pass membership and the AA Executive card and those will get you in a ton of lounges even if not on a certain airline.

Counsellor, gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed and for those weird layovers (think over-nighters), if there is a 24 hour lounge with decent chairs and shower, they sure can save the day. They can either save you a night at an airport hotel or the hard chairs in the waiting area. The main thing is to locate a 24 hours participating lounge though.

gregm likes this.
  4. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used United passes when flying Hawaiian.

Counsellor, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  5. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about passes but American Airlines let's you use the lounge regardless if you're flying their airline. They won't ask for a boarding pass if you have a membership card. The card has your AAdvantage number which they have to log in.

Counsellor, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  6. FredEX17

FredEX17 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I was able to use UA passes (from the credit card sign up) to gain access to their HKG lounge. I was flying BA economy. Didn't have to produce boarding passes or anything. Didn't find the lounge outstanding but it was nice to get a "couple" glasses of red wine before to long haul to LHR

7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    US passes from credit card - also can be flying on any airline

Counsellor likes this.
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did you encounter 24 hr lounges?
    How did you access?

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me make sure I understand.

If I'm flying international on Lufthansa (Star Alliance) I could use the Admirals Club just by showing my PLT elite card, no boarding pass needed? Or are you referring to an Admirals Club (paid) membership card?

As I recall, the lounge dragons have always asked to see my boarding pass as well when I show the PLT card.

gregm likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know, thanks. When I'm transiting HKG, though, it's usually on CX, so I use their lounges.

I wonder if the same would work with my United Cub (paid) membership card.

gregm likes this.
  11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Really good to know. (I may try that at CLT later in the year when flying LH.)

gregm likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seen an Amex Plat get the boot at DCA Sunday, in the US Air lounge,

They will give you a polite no, and we have all been told no before...

gregm likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen a one-time or day pass which required flying that carrier's metal. I know the UA ones do not require it and I'm pretty sure AA, DL & US are the same.

Only if on a paid membership. Elite status won't get you in if you're not flying on oneworld metal internationally.
    You can access any UA-operated lounge with your membership, regardless of what airline you are flying. If it is a partner lounge then you must be departing the local airplane on *A metal.
    As well they should; that partnership no longer exists.

Counsellor likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that I can't use AmEx Plat card to access US lounges (including when not traveling US), can I pay to enter if I am flying another carrier (in this case, DL, so not a partner)? I have no US or oneworld status and no US affiliated credit card.

If available, I suspect the charge is likely to be in the $40-50 range, but it could be worth it for a long layover when no other lounge is available (including no PP lounge at the airport).

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a Day Pass for AA and was denied entry because the Pass T&Cs indicated that I had to be flying American to use the Lounge Pass.

iolaire likes this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is definitely accurate. I understand that the USAirways credit card should entitle the holder to ~1 free USAirways lounge pass per quarter (i.e., every 3 months). Note that a USAirways lounge pass will not enable you to access the AAdmiral's Club. And I understand that each lounge pass should be good for at least a few months from the date issued. The friendly personnel at my local airport's USAirways lounge told me that they could look up the availability of my lounge passes when I provided them my USAirways Dividend Miles #.

Counsellor and gregm like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I have a different card, but mine has given me one pass per year. The current offer I found online seems to be the same.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One easy way is to look at the listings in the Priority Pass http://www.prioritypass.com/Lounges/index.cfm / https://d2llguf9uoxb71.cloudfront.net/pp/pdf/Lounge_Directory.pdf
    Even if you have no Priority Pass, you can still use them to identify which lounges are accessible to you.
    There are quite a few 24 hours lounges but their list only shows their participating lounges.
    It is highly possible that there are other airline lounges that operates 24x7 not affiliated with Priority Pass.

Again, if you have a layover that goes overnight at an airport with a 24x7 lounge, even if one has to pay a per visit Priority Pass fee is worth the comfort, food and maybe shower.

euromannn, gregm and Newscience like this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    HMWT, you could be right. If so, then my other complimentary day passes due to me in the USAirways Club system may have come from other sources, besides the use of the co-branded credit card.
    Newscience

Counsellor and gregm like this.
  20. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    United doesn't make you produce a boarding pass when using the free passes.

Newscience likes this.
  21. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    SHower...what I seek on my 24 hr hops!

Newscience and WilliamQ like this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's #1 one of many reasons why I like the Lufthansa lounges when transiting through Germany! :)

WilliamQ and Counsellor like this.
  23. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a handful of Delta SkyClub (or whatever their lounge is) complimentary one-day passes laying around. On the back it says "blah blah blah one person flying ON ANY AIRLINE." This obviously has no bearing on membership in any program but it's nice that it says right on the card that you don't have to be flying Delta in or out to get access. Now I just need to go to an airport where using them will be convenient. That might be tough.

WilliamQ and euromannn like this.
  24. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    But German's are known to shower only once a week!:D

WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  25. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, I guess that's why I only need to wait about 10-15 minutes to use the showers after signing up for it at the FRA Lufthansa lounge! :D

Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.