Complex penpal idea

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by daninstl, Oct 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I live in the USA but I miss out on some odd points earning events because I don't have an address and sometimes also an activity in another country like the UK for example.

Now I know I wouldn't want to do anything too complex like credit cards but I could use a Shell Smart account with some minor activity in Europe for example.

I'm wondering if this isn't an opportunity for a low risk exchange or trading of temporary address status or maybe even some limited trading of activities like a $2 purchase. Seems like this could be organized somehow if not just a one off with individuals although that would be OK also.

You need a "penpal" that is someone else in "the game" that understands and it needs to be of mutual benefit I'd think.

Thoughts or ideas??

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy used to run a USA address service out of Colorado Springs back in the day when early USA legacy carrier FF programs required that one have a USA address for program notices, cards, and paper award certs. I know some people who lived abroad at that time and used the service to earn lots and lots of miles back then.

However, then the requirement was simply that one had a USA address. Now many rules are stated in terms of one's residence (although you can use a business mailing address) and sometimes this is verified, for example if you win a big prize (or you must sign a statement about your legal residence if you win a small prize). DL claims that they audit address change requessts to overseas due to the foreign exemption to MQD requirements for status. So now doing some off this stuff would be considered fraud and you could well get caught.

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. I wouldn't use such a service or exchange for contests or to try and out right steal but you have a great point. Also once you go down that road it's easy to just keep going further into the grey area. Kind of like manufactured spend, where does it stop.

4. atlflyer89

atlflyer89 Member

Status Points:
    I'm still trying to find some way to to MS now... I'm pretty new to this, was using Amazon payments, but with that gone, I'm a bit lost.