Completing the purchase of a "held" reservation online

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have a held itinerary online that can check to see if there is an option to complete the purchase? I have one and at the top it says
    There used to be a link to complete the transaction or something like that but I'm not seeing it on this reservation. Anyone have any ideas?

2. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance you are in day two of the hold? I had this same thing happen to me recently. The link was there on day one but it was gone on day two when I went back to complete the purchase. Fortunately, the fare was still available so I just cancelled the hold and started over. My guess is that it is just another website bug.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

I already knew that "midnight" really only meant time of purchase but I didn't realize that 3 days was really only one. That sucks.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....I just created a brand new reservation and put it on hold and then went back in and I cannot ticket it. That sucks. :(

ETA: A bit more experimenting suggests that a ticket with partner flight numbers (even on UA metal) seem to be what breaks it.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For what it's worth this past week I set up an award reservation on the UA website and held it (using the telephone call-in link).

Then I had web support add a segment to the reservation.

Then I went back online and there was a link to complete the purchase, which I did.

Of course, the ticket got kicked out of the queue for insufficient miles, even though there were enough miles in the account. After two days I rang up, they re-queued the ticket. It's been three days since then and it hasn't been ticketed yet (web support said that it could take 7 days as there were 5000 tickets in this one particular manual queue).

Still watching the res to make sure the segments don't cancel out while the reservation is pending ticketing..

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't trust Web Support in this case (or most others). I'd be quite concerned in this case that the actual fare is not properly stored. In such cases the ticket won't issue and often won't drop out either. You just hang out in purgatory.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fare is indeed not stored and they will reprice it to the current availability.