Compensation volunteered for check-out delay

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by SC Flier, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a new experience late last night when picking up my car at DEN. They were sold out, and I got the last car off of the Emerald Aisle (an AWD Subaru). At the check-out gate, the computer was down for several minutes. Due to my patience during the delay, the clerk gave me a half tank of gas and said to return it half full. Completely unsolicited and unexpected, but very appreciated for this business/personal trip.

How much flexibility do National's clerks have to give out compensation for problems?

Gargoyle, jackal and Traveller like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow that's neat! I've had some (minor) issues when picking up rentals but have never had anything offered to me. The free gas seems like a great idea...especially because I always seem to be rushing back to the airport and get even more frustrated having to stop for gas :D

SC Flier and Traveller like this.
  3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a minor complaint once, poorly cleaned car IIRC, the return location knocked $25 off my invoice with any prompting after alerting them it needed a good clean. I found it to be a bit high relative to the issue. Empowered front line employees are always a good thing though.

Gargoyle, jackal and kayet like this.
  4. I had something similar at BOS. They could not find the paperwork for the car for me to take it into Canada. It took them about 25 minutes, and they comped me the tank of gas as I already had the class of car I wanted off the ES.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Followup:

When I returned my car, the agent in the lot asked how my rental was. I said that it was good but bouncy. He asked if there was anything that he could do to make up for that and offered me a free day off of my 8-day rental -- saving me around $40.

The free half tank of gas was also given without my pointing it out. I probably ended the rental with a couple extra gallons more than a half tank, though. It can be difficult to know exactly how much gas needs to be added to end the trip with a half tank.

Is there something on my profile that makes it stand out to agents that I used to be a very frequent renter with National that needs to be won back? Or is this really normal customer service now? If it's normal, I'm liking it!

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope for the latter. Thanks for the followup BTW.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to share a recent Alamo experience (since National and Alamo are both owned by Enterprise Holdings).

When I picked up my full-size rental I was offered a complimentary upgrade to an SUV (perfect because this was for a short family road trip). I noticed the gas tank was not completely full, the needle was a little below the F line. For this I was refunded $25. A very pleasant experience indeed.

SC Flier likes this.