Compensation for cancelled award flight?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jfhscott, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend wants to know if compensation/miles refund may be due.

I hope the following parameters will be all that are needed for intelligent analysis:

(1) He used 25000 miles for an F award from DCA-DFW-SAN.

(2) The DCA-DFW was cancelled, with the announced cause being pilot illness (I don't know if this is an "excusable" cause for cancellation).

(3) It was a Friday evening, and AA could not rebook him that evening and would be unable to get him to SAN until noon Saturday, which was a significant problem.

(4) AA managed to get him into Y on DL arriving that Friday in SAN a bit later than the original itinerary, but not meaningfully later. Seats were centers.

Was wondering, what with the downgrade, if he should anticipate any compensation?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Personally I'd think a refund of 12.5K would be appropriate, the difference between a Y and F award.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    He didn't fly in the class of service that he paid miles for, so he should get a refund. This is the same principle as someone who purchases a revenue FC ticket and then for almost whatever reason is forced to ride in coach is due some refund. The question is how to calculate it--i.e., which coach fare to use. Here the currency is different (miles, not money) and the prices are straightforward. He should not expect anything extra for pain and suffering.

The friend was very lucky that AA was willing to purchase a ticket for him on DL, not their partner at all, especially given that he was travelling on an award ticket. However, coach is coach, so he still should get those miles returned to him.

4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    The dude has no idea just how lucky he was. Indeed, he got a bunch of DL miles out of the transaction to boot.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's so extraordinary that I wonder what he told them about his significant problem (were they about to make him late for his own wedding or something?) or, alternatively, whether the sick pilot was really drunk.

6. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure if he emails AA he will get miles back one way or another. I feel like they give back 5,000 and 10,000 miles at a time for smaller things than this.