Compensation for broken IFE on TATL?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by scubaflyer, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious if anyone has requested compensation for broken IFE on TATL flights on the A330s that have IFE at every seat. If so, how much did you request, and how much did US give you?

My situation is that I did a recent turnaround to London where I was sitting in Envoy. On the return flight, about 2 hours in to the flight, the IFE broke and they could not repair it during the flight. So, on the flight where I really wanted to use the IFE (since it is during daytime and longer going East-West), I ended up having to read newspapers (which was fine, but I really wanted to watch 2 of the movies on the IFE).

2. $100, $50 and $25 over the last 5 years, even as a 1K.
    UA, DL and US

3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be happy with a $25 voucher, but let us know what you get. Honestly.....US and the other airlines should give one free month of Netflix to compensate for broken IFE! [​IMG]

jupper and airshadow like this.
  4. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently had a TATL coach seat that wouldn't stay in the locked upright position. I sent along a note but didn't even think to ask for compensation. Of course, if anybody should get anything, it's that poor guy behind me :)

5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the IFE was working for part of the flight, my frustration factor would be lower; stuff breaks and there's no way to anticipate it during pre-flight checks. I'd be more annoyed if it wasn't working from the start. I'd write a note to US requesting "a token" for my inconvience. Usually when I use those exact words, I'm pleasantly surprised at how responsive they are, and usually find the compensation more than adequate.

FarPoint, sc801 and RedM3Pilot like this.
  6. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    On my PHL-TLV flight in October the IFE was broken and they handed out cards with a code on it and instructed us to email Customer Service with the code for compensation. As a CP I got a $150 voucher while my nop-status friend got $50 (same flight).

7. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't receive this but my +1 did...... his seat was broken on a TATL flight which we had upgraded with miles. They gave him his 30K miles back! Not too shabby. Personally, I wouldn't expect anything from US for broken IFE, but you may get lucky.

8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be no consistency with the way US doles out compensation. Sometimes the compensation is overly generous; other times it's an outright insult. And when they REALLY mess up, forget about them making you whole again. They won't even come close. My advice would be to take whatever compensation they give you, and be happy you even got a response. [​IMG]

9. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I'm assuming that for those of you who are Preferred/Elite, that you sent this "request" to your designated Preferred/Elite email. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got $50 voucher (I dont have status with US), for a malfunctioning lamp on a TATL in the new envoy pod layout. The great FA noticed it and made it an issue, and insisted I contact US when I returned.

11. treznor

treznor Active Member

Status Points:
    CLT-LGW in April 2010 as a Chairman in coach I had my IFE nonfunctional and no open seats to move to in order to try and get a functional IFE. Resulted in a $100 e-tuv after emailing the Chairmans email.

12. breakankles
    Original Member

breakankles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat off the subject, uva185, but have you used your voucher yet? Any suggestions for a flight to use this on? Just want to make sure I get my worth out of it...if that makes sense. I have a $150 voucher from a DCA-CDG flight in January. And it just so happens that we're in the same area. [​IMG]

13. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a TA flight from Europe-PHL, I had multiple problems. Broken tray table, the IFE was on/off (they rebooted several times), and I think a few other things. I had paid $500 for the Go Envoy upgrade. I wrote to customer service and asked for a full refund of the $500. I ended up getting a $250 voucher, which was fine with me.

14. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sent an email to the Chairman's desk about the broken IFE, so we'll see what response I get back.

15. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    You can use the voucher for any flight, domestic or international and there is no minimum fare requirement to use it.

I do want to make a trip to CDG this year though...

16. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the verdict is in... $125 voucher. I guess that will come in handy given the rising prices I'm seeing on alot of the US routes I fly regularly (on my own dime).

sc801 likes this.
  17. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a $125 voucher is more than generous for broken IFE.

18. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me. $125 buys a lot of entertainment ;)

19. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And several months of Netflix! [​IMG]

20. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you! I'm glad to see them come through for you! The power of a letter!

Hope you will use it for COS in April!

21. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it was a nice offer to get from them. I probably won't be using it for COS in April, since US is double the cost of CO right now. I'm probably going to book it on CO and credit it to US (although I had an issue with that last summer).

22. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a reference point, there were major problems with IFE on my VS flight. Everyone in J got the identical offer : £20 credit applied to a future Virgin Holidays package (that's about $35, and packages only) or 4000 Flying Club points.

23. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you took the points! :)