Comparing Round-the-World (RTW) fares and options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Wandering Aramean, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every now and then I find myself wondering if there isn't a better way to get access to some nugget of data related to travel. More often than not I'm disappointed to find out that the answer is generally that the tools aren't available. When I can, I try to change that. Welcome to my latest effort: The Round-the-World Fare Comparison Tool.

[​IMG]

The tool holds nearly 13,000 data points for fare pricing from 197 different airports around the world (one per country for most countries). There are nearly 100 different fare types in the system, including not only RTW fares but also some regional options like Circle Asia, Circle Pacific and Circle Japan options.

That's a whole lot of data that needs to be managed and filtered. I certainly won't go so far to claim it is perfect yet - the site is very much in beta right now - but there are options to sort by point of origin, fare type and cabin of travel available right now and more in the works.

Currently there are six different airlines being used as data points for the fares, two each from the three global alliances. In nearly every case the fares match but there are enough quirks and variances that I'm keeping all the data in there and available. The fares do not include taxes, fuel surcharges or aircraft-specific fees but the goal of the tool is to facilitate comparing prices between alliances or to figure out the best place to start a trip rather than get to final pricing.

Here's what it looks like if you choose a specific origin country/airport:

[​IMG]

The different cabins are color-coded so you can quickly see the different types of fares available to you.

Want to search by fare product. Here are the nearly 100 available to you:

[​IMG]

Pick one and you'll get a clickable, color-coded map:

[​IMG]

The green icons represent the cheapest 20% of the markets for that specific fare while the red are the most expensive 20%.

I'm still working on options for other ways to "slice and dice" the data. Got a suggestion or an idea of a view that would be useful? Leave a comment here and I'll see what I can do.

In the mean time, give the tool a whirl and let me know what you think. And check out some of the other tools while you're on the site. You might be surprised at how useful they can be.

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy cr@p, what an amazing, stunning piece of work! How did you pull all the fares? From GDSs or the mother of all data-mining efforts in some other manner?

This is a totally valuable, incredible tool. I'm just speechless. Bravo!

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The VisitUSA fares perhaps should be included here. There are some similar deals for foreigners in Japan flying JAL. Probably some other similar specials can be tacked onto a longhaul fare to get some of the benefits of circle and similar fares. When I last checked, a big advantage of some of the Circle Pacific fares was that they permitted flights on different alliances to be included. The opposite approach, which I would love to be able to use, is represented by the special SQ-only RTW fares.

jbcarioca and wijomas like this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll second that sentiment. Well done, sir! :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! For Beta its bloody good!
    And its a ton of fun.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great stuff.

How are you dealing with currency & exchange rates?

jbcarioca and wijomas like this.
  7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lol @ the rate out of SEZ for OW tix. $4kish for First on a AONE6. Too bad there are no OW flights out of SEZ, AFAIK.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Currently my data source publishes fares in USD and that's what I'm sharing. Providing data in other currencies is something I can add to the product road map but it will be a relatively low priority.

Everyone has a few secrets, right?? ;)

The data comes from a publicly available pricing engine. I've screen-scraped the heck out of it (roughly 10-12 hours for the mining app to collect the data) and then built the UI around the data set I have.

jmrich1432, jbcarioca and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    excellent resource!! Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some of those (Circle Asia/China/Pacific) came in when I harvested the data. Others didn't. I'll see what I can do about finding more of them but no promises.
    Getting fare rules for each of the entries is on the product road map.
    As of right now I do not believe those are in the data source I have; I definitely haven't seen them in a couple tests I ran trying to get them. I'll keep trying though. It does look like I can get the VS-based fares from the source so I'll work on that hopefully today.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great information, I'd like to see some links, instructions, or an FAQ on how to use the results. For example I see sub $4,000 first fares out of hkg and nrt from my quick look I did not see more than codes - how do I learn if that is not rtw, and how do I book?

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I intend to add details of what the fare basis means in the near future. There are over 100 entries to make on that front but I'm working on it.

I do know that the cheap ones ex-HKG are not RTW; they are Circle China fares. Sorry to get your hopes up. :(

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw the J and F fares for S Korea and almost leapt out of my chair, until I realized they were Circle N Asia fares. Its a great resource as it also covers regional circle fares, which are not always easy to find!

jbcarioca and Jimgotkp like this.
  14. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.. Brilliant resource -- just dont scrape too often!
    as noted above a number of the oneworld xONEx fares aren't ticketable as there is no longer any service to those countries.
    Also agree with the post on the other site that sorting low-high on product search and putting <P> or <BR> tags in would make it more useful

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks as before I'd like suggest that you set up a google forum which allows people to submit link to specific urls with the fare details to help you collect all 100. i.e. someone would look up the circle china fare, find a url with details and submit it to you so you don't have to look up each of them yourself.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI on IE 7 your nave bar is now showing at left side of the page, (sorry I thought it was on top so this image doesn't show the left nav area well- but its not there at all. rtw.jpg

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This change is uploading now.

I've also changed the format of that list slightly so it is two entries per row rather than just the | separator. Still not ideal (though I don't really know what ideal is in this context) but better than the endless wrapping in terms of scanning the data I hope.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, you want some fare rules, too?? ;)

[​IMG]

Just a teaser while I wait for the data set to populate. Currently just over 300 rows in the system, working up to the 12K total number. I won't be activating the links for this until I have more data but it is on the way. :cool:

19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is amazing! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to play around with it more!

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fare rules are now active. You can get to them by going into a city and clicking on the Fare Rules link in the right-most column of the details listed there.

As always, please let me know if you run into troubles.

Rom Sac and canucklehead like this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've made some progress in addressing this issue today through the addition of a new Fare Information tab on the details page of any particular fare basis.

When you click on a fare basis you'll get a slightly different view. The map is still there but underneath it is now a tab called Fare Information. Click on that and you'll get lots of fun stuff, including mileage and regional limits, min/max stay, permitted carriers, stopover limits and other juicy bits. Here's a screenshot of part of the data for one fare:

[​IMG]

The data is mostly from the alliance websites as well as from the fare rules where appropriate.

I've done a decent amount of testing and I'm pretty sure it is all good but if you notice anything amiss just let me know.

I'm still looking at additional FAQ-type stuff but I had the data for this reasonably easily accessible and I managed to get it collated and online pretty quick.

iolaire likes this.